Converting A Drilled Tank, Then Back...project Tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Faythee

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I bought a used 125 gallon, 6 ft. tank. It has 2 drilled holes in the bottom on both back corners. See pic below. I'm a bit confused why it has 4 holes. Is that an intake & outake on each side ? I want to temporarily cap them off, set the tank up with 2 Aquaclear 110's HOB, and then install a canister below later when I have the money. This is what I am thinking for later:

http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/Drilledcanister.html

So, seeing this. Do I permanently cap off 2 of the holes ? Then put an on/off valve, one on each side ? Will I have any problems installing the canister later after it is full of fish ? I just want to be sure I don't do somthing stupid.....or would be better off doing it a different way. Oh and it will be freshwater, no plants.

Thanks !

35ho58y.jpg

Why do you want run a canister filters rather than a sump? Sumps as you probably know are a far better way of filtration. Looking at that diagram on the link that's what i would do but are you going to keep the weirs? Because if you remove them surely you can't really have any gravel because it would just get sucked up by the filter?

Why do you want run a canister filters rather than a sump? Sumps as you probably know are a far better way of filtration. Looking at that diagram on the link that's what i would do but are you going to keep the weirs? Because if you remove them surely you can't really have any gravel because it would just get sucked up by the filter?

I just don't know how to use a sump. The tank came with an approximate 30 gallon tank with bio balls and a sponge in it for underneath. After reading online I read of trouble priming and possible overflow if electricity goes out (we have alot of tropical storms here). Just made me nervous. For now I am going to use 2 Aquaclear 110's on the back. When I cleaned the tank I realized the water doesn't get into those 2 back corners, we just capped the 4 holes off for now. I suppose I can hire someone to come out and look at it and advise me on the set up. Tank cleaned up nicely !

It will take some experimentation Faythee but if I had a sump there is no way I would be piping up a canister. The sump is the place that is used to both add water and to vary in levels. What you do is simple. With the power shut off, fill the main tank and let it overflow until the sump is close to being full. At that point you have all the water you will ever want in the system. Start up the pumping system and wait until levels in the tank and sump stabilize. Mark the water level in your sump. That is the level you want to fill to when doing a water change. You do not want a full sump. If there is a power failure, the sump will fill most of the way if you start at that level. When the power comes back on the sump level will go down and the tank will fill a bit until it is overflowing enough to keep up with the pump on the sump. Cleaning the filter is easy too. Just shut off the pump, wait until things stop changing and clean away. When you are done cleaning, fill the sump and start the filter pump. The level should drop fairly close to your full level mark. If you want excitement, fill the sump above your line and wait for a power failure. That is an invitation for a flood.

It will take some experimentation Faythee but if I had a sump there is no way I would be piping up a canister. The sump is the place that is used to both add water and to vary in levels. What you do is simple. With the power shut off, fill the main tank and let it overflow until the sump is close to being full. At that point you have all the water you will ever want in the system. Start up the pumping system and wait until levels in the tank and sump stabilize. Mark the water level in your sump. That is the level you want to fill to when doing a water change. You do not want a full sump. If there is a power failure, the sump will fill most of the way if you start at that level. When the power comes back on the sump level will go down and the tank will fill a bit until it is overflowing enough to keep up with the pump on the sump. Cleaning the filter is easy too. Just shut off the pump, wait until things stop changing and clean away. When you are done cleaning, fill the sump and start the filter pump. The level should drop fairly close to your full level mark. If you want excitement, fill the sump above your line and wait for a power failure. That is an invitation for a flood.

Okay ! That makes more sense. Thank you ! :nod:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back