Considering Getting Corys

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

livvyy

Reaction score
So I am considering getting dwarf cory's. Only thing is that I have gravel (pea sizeish pebbles) substrate and some people have said yeah its alright other say no I shouldn't because they prefer sand (which I know) I am considering getting like a mini sandbox for them in one of the areas of my tank (unsure of how to go about this but I am going to try) would that be another consideration instead of emptying out  my entire substrate? my tanks has only been set up for a month and I have just completed a fishless cycle any help on this would be great :) I have attached a photo of my tank (I am getting another ornament tomorrow when I get my fish)

Q0jcKHz.jpg

If the gravel is round, with no sharp edges, they should be okay. If not I would go with sand.
I changed to sand last year and prefer it, that's just an opinion.
As for a sandbox, goodluck. Tried it before went completly sand. Corys like to root, or snuffle in the substrate, so couldn't keep the two seperate.
The problem with coarse gravel is it damages the cory's barbels, leading to infection and disease.

They're not really diggers as in diggers that would uproot plants, I think they just like the way sand feels against their barbels. Those smooth stones wouldn't hurt the cories, but they wouldn't be pleasurable either, you know? Just remember you should have enough room for 6 or more cories, as they like to be kept in groups.

And congratz on the fishless cycle! You've already got a leg up on most first tanks.

Sand, you wont see natural behaviour with anything else really.... and as stated, course/sharp gravel can cause problems which are better off avoided... as to them not been diggers, i have to disagree, ive kept many cory's over many years and there digging ability is astounding sometimes lol, they 'have' uprooted plants, even bigger rooted plants too.

The sand box i wouldn't bother with either, it will be mixed in no time..... that tank looks relatively small, so it shouldn't be to much trouble replacing the gravel with sand.... it will make the tank less garish aswell and far more natural with sand ;).

Definitely sand, corys are much happier with it & as the previous poster said you'll see much more natural behaviour

I would say that pygmy's aren't too good of diggers. The barbels aren't but 2-3mm long so they don't generally go very much past the superficial layer of the substrate.

As to not being diggers, had an albino female I knicknamed a bulldozer cory. She uprooted amazon swords.

DreamertK said:
I would say that pygmy's aren't too good of diggers. The barbels aren't but 2-3mm long so they don't generally go very much past the superficial layer of the substrate.

Ah right, that's a different situation completely, pygmies also don't stay on the floor very often from experience either lol, they tend to be more of an active lower to mid level swimmer.... i didn't actually realise the OP was referring to the pygmy varieties.... however sand would also be a better option for these, some would say even more important due there smaller size ;).

so got some panda corys at the moment they aren't doing to bad I will defiantly consider  getting sand (might not be for a few weeks though) thanks for all your guys information :)

Cories will do much better with sand but will still thrive with round gravel or pebbles. I would add the cories last because they do better in a developed tank. Be sure to post pics.

I would add the cories last because they do better in a developed tank. Be sure to post pics.

This is actually a myth, a cycled tank is a cycled tank, the bacteria do the same job as if the tank was 3 years old to a tank 3 months old as long as the bacteria colony is sufficient for the tank bioload.

Having a mature tank is only applicable to fish that actively graze on algae (or the like) or bacteria growth in which a mature tank offers... fish like otto's etc. Cory's aren't active grazers and predominantly a carnivorous/protein based feeder.

Well not totally a myth, as a tank matures there is a build up of biofilm.
While most of the action takes place in the filter, a small amount does take place elsewhere.
But yeah I tend to add corys first. Because I really like them.

frapadoodle said:
Well not totally a myth, as a tank matures there is a build up of biofilm.
While most of the action takes place in the filter, a small amount does take place elsewhere.
But yeah I tend to add corys first. Because I really like them.

Biofilm doesn't aid filtration as far as i'm aware but rather a food source for fish or bacteria that may feed off it (ie, some plecos, otto's, shrimp etc etc)...however the myth i mentioned was aimed at adding cory's last and that it wasn't needed, that 'is' a myth.  

As to most of the action takes place in the filter and some elsewhere... yes your quite right.... however, the amount that collects on a tank wall, on decor or in the water is very very little, hence why you can have a complete tank strip down and re-put back together and all be fine... aslong as the filter media/bacteria is sufficiently kept alive .... so basically the myth lies within the pretence of not being able to add any fish at anytime which is incorrect unless the fish needs something which can only be gained by a mature tank.... cory's don't need this.....which leads back to my original comment of it being a myth
wink.png

Anyways, that goes a bit deeper than what was needed lol.... the whole point was to iterate a cycled tank can house 'almost' any fish straight away
wink.png

Well actually it does help with filtration, but not enough to be noticed.
But I know what you mean. I think the whole thinking behind the myth, or theory, is that mature tanks tend to be more stable.
Anyway, gotta love the corys.

I just hope you're able to switch to sand soon. You'll see a noticeable difference in their behavior once you switch. When I made the switch I had albino cory and one of them actually took a nose dive in the sand, she was so happy!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back