Congo Frog

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Kem

Reaction score
Hi i recently bought a congo frog for my tank its so small and cute :p , im feeding him bloodworm but he dont seem to eat all the other fish go for it (any tips on that), but i want to find out more about my new frog? hes black and small and likes hiding behind my filter

:*)

I also saw 'congo frogs' for sale at my lfs on staurday. Narrowly avoided an impulse buy. They were about half an inch long and the guy said they'd go after the fish when they were bigger.

I was wondering if they were the same as ADF's. I say we need to get Inchworm on the case. :p

Lol i think you goto my local LFS too in cruise hill..... They LFS told me it will only eat my tetras when it gets big, but my tetras will be too big by then...
..... i hope :(

Hi Kem :)

I don't know of, and can't seem to find any information about Congo frogs. I suspect that the name might just be another made up name for either African Dwarf Frogs or African Clawed Frogs. This is not an unusual thing to happen.

Both of these frogs are usually sold at a very young age and are often less than an inch in length at that time.

Please look at the information and links in this thread and see if either one looks like your frog:

http://fish.orbust.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=18252

If you let us know what you think you have, we can help you get him happily settled into his new home. :thumbs:

Hi Inchworm, the frogs labelled as Congo frogs have webbed feet, making them ADFs right?

Are these suitable for community tanks, my lfs seemed to think that they'd go after the fish when they reach full size. So did Kem's lol.

Btw Kem, I don't think our lfs' are the same, I live 30 miles from London, I'm not going that far on a regular basis to buy fish/frogs :p

I was looking at albino dwarf frogs in lfs they were in a tank with fire newts. I'd love a frog in my comunity tank .Girl in shop was a bit vague about them though. :unsure:

JamesTasker said:
Hi Inchworm, the frogs labeled as Congo frogs have webbed feet, making them ADFs right?

Are these suitable for community tanks, my lfs seemed to think that they'd go after the fish when they reach full size. So did Kem's lol.
Hi JamesTasker :)

If they are totally aquatic and have webbed "hands," (as opposed to pointy fingers) they are probably African Dwarf Frogs, whatever your lfs is calling them.

I don't think you have to worry about them attacking your fish, as long as they are bigger than guppy fry. :no: The problem is more often protecting them from the other inhabitants of an aquarium. Look at their tiny little hands and arms and you will understand what I mean. :eek:

They are great little jumpers too, so make very sure that there are no openings at the top of your tank where they can escape. :flex:

Cat said:
I was looking at albino dwarf frogs in lfs they were in a tank with fire newts. I'd love a frog in my community tank .Girl in shop was a bit vague about them though. :unsure:
Hi Cat :)

One thing is absolutely certain; if they are albino, they are not dwarfs! :no: They are the bigger African Clawed Frogs. These fellows are considerably bigger and will not work out well in a community tank. They are great pets though, and if you can set up a 10 gallon tank they will be happy for quite some time.

Here's a link with information about them:

http://animaldiversity.ummz.umich.edu/site...pus_laevis.html

And here is a thread about Sorrell's wonderful old frog, Jaba:

http://fish.orbust.net/forums/index.php?sh...c=39708&hl=frog

Please let me know what you decide. :D

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back