Computer Phone Scam!

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

raptorrex

Inactive
Reaction score
I recently visited a friend. during my visit he received a call from, Techmyhelp.com. they, correctly, identified themselves as a Microsoft accredited organisation.
they said Microsoft had informed them, that the computer, at that address, was infected with a virus???????????????????????

now, we all should know, that this is, virtually, impossible. however the MS accreditation, made me wonder. any how, all i did was ask him some question, as to how they could find this out. after pushing for a bit, he gave up, and rang off.

they wanted £185 for the program and fix!!!!!!!!!!! which, in case you are wondering, does nothing but infect your computer.

the number they ring from is: +2032870117. its voice over IP so, though they seem to be in UK, the call seem to originate in INDIA.
check this link: Virus scam

whilst most of us would not be fooled, not all our families are so savvy. pass on this warning to, everyone you know. unfortunately, there is no way of getting any refund (even with credit cards)

whilst most of us would not be fooled, not all our families are so savvy. pass on this warning to, everyone you know. unfortunately, there is no way of getting any refund (even with credit cards)

Definitely going to pass this on to my other family members. Like you said, many people would smell a rat straight away. But not everyone.

A few more bits of information:
this only effect people with their phone numbers in the directory. nobody with an EX directory number is effected. (as far as is reported)
All the callers, so far, are from the Indian sub continent.
not all calls are from techmyhelp. there are many and varied names, and numbers. but the theme is the same.

if someone is called. report it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! this is the only way it will be stopped.

this has being going around for the last year now all companies which are doing this m$ has now cut ties with

this has being going around for the last year now all companies which are doing this m$ has now cut ties with

indeed so. though the firm, here, still checked out as MS accredited. or should i say, if you didn't look hard enough, it checked out. there was no suggestion that Ms were involved here. though their own security must be called into question. for the scammers to be accredited, in the first place.

Most reactions

Back