Compressiceps Dwarf Pike Cichlid tank size

ocf_22

Reaction score
I'm looking to keep just 1 Compressiceps Dwarf Pike Cichlid. I want to make a beautiful nano aquascape. I found a 36x8x10 nano tank for $200. A 24x14x14 for $240. would a different tank be better? please, any information would help.

Im looking to get a dwarf pike cichlid and need a tank size. im looking at a 24 long 20 gallon but im scared its too small. any information would be greatly appreciated.

I don't know this fish but did some searching...

There are pike cichlids and dwarf pike cichlids. While one dwarf would probably do OK in 50 gallon they are more demanding as to water conditions then the 'normal' pikes. If wanting more than 2 of these beasties you would probably want a 75 tank although you 20 gallon being a long is an advantage if not wanting more than 1.

They also want a LOT of hiding places such as wood, plants and a leaf covering over the substrate. While I don't actually know the recommendation of a leaf covering over the substrate tends to indicate that the fish likely 'digs in' and you may not see often.

With the fish wanting leaf coverage on the substrate I would think this would increase the need for tank maintenance but, again, I don't know the fish nor the tank setup that would seem to properly fit.

Sorry, I know that I'm not giving you any 'for fact' info but I wanted to relay what info I could on a quick search.

Last edited:
I wish that you would have just included this in your other thread on the same basic thing...

Again I don't actually know for fact but, just from it seeming to want to hide and burrow a lot, it may do better in the 20 gallon 'long' tank.

Keeping just one means you won't see the fish often. C compressicewps is the most aggressive dwarf I've kept, so space would be called for. The more room it has, the better the chances of peace. Most of the aggression I saw was with its own, however.

I have merged two threads on the same subject so the posts may read a bit disjointed.

Most reactions

Back