What's new

Complete Overhaul Of 60 L Tank

Pet of the Month Starts Now!
FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 Click here to enter! 🐰

ADW1988

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I'm going for a complete overhaul of my tank. (Ive actually started a previous thread regarding substrate change, so apologies, hope this isn't too much of a duplicate)

ATM I have a 60L Marina tank with you run of the mill Pets at home décor. It's great but fancy a change for the better of my fish after all the research I have done.

SUBSTRATE:
Previously I mentioned changing the rounded stone substrate to sand as I have corydora.

1) will I lose much of the nitrifying bacteria if I removed all of the current stone substrate?
2) with fish in the tank how long would they survive in a bucket with the heater?
3) Can you suggest a good natural aquarium sand (UK)

DECOR
I am looking to remove the plastic aztec stairs and go for a more natural look.
4) Bogwood from ebay - not pre-soaked - How long should a piece 35cm x 25cm of roots (all twisted) take to soak to remove tannins. Its called red moor wood (bogwood) in the listing.
5) I have a plant that's rooted in the gravel... Will it be safe to take this out without killing it?

6) Essentially is a complete overhaul like this an advisable thing to do? or should I do it in stages?

If anyone can help with these 6 questions, I'd be very grateful

Thanks,

I've done this myself in the past. Others may have differing opinions, but I did it without issues, so I reckon:

1) a bit, but most will be in your filter media, not enough will be lost to be a concern.

2) long enough, the stress & lack of filtration will be more of a concern to the fish. You can do this in two hours easy.!

3) play sand from Argos, about 3 quid a bag, or you can go pricer aquarium sand. Not much difference apart from colour choice.

4) the fish would appreciate the tannins, looks more natural too. They will fade over time with water changes. But can take weeks. Even in a bucket you have to continually change the water over and over. I'd pour boiling water over it to get rid of any nasties & put it in the tank. You may have to weigh it down initially.

5) yes, it will be fine.

6) get it done. The quicker the better for your filter (bacteria) and your fish. Just remember to rinse the sand, let it settle a little before turning the filter back on ( you don't want too much sand getting in your mechanical parts). Get the water back to temp as you would if doing a big water change.

Good luck, post a before & after pic.

Cheers.

dougie said:
I've done this myself in the past. Others may have differing opinions, but I did it without issues, so I reckon:

1) a bit, but most will be in your filter media, not enough will be lost to be a concern.

2) long enough, the stress & lack of filtration will be more of a concern to the fish. You can do this in two hours easy.!

3) play sand from Argos, about 3 quid a bag, or you can go pricer aquarium sand. Not much difference apart from colour choice.

4) the fish would appreciate the tannins, looks more natural too. They will fade over time with water changes. But can take weeks. Even in a bucket you have to continually change the water over and over. I'd pour boiling water over it to get rid of any nasties & put it in the tank. You may have to weigh it down initially.

5) yes, it will be fine.

6) get it done. The quicker the better for your filter (bacteria) and your fish. Just remember to rinse the sand, let it settle a little before turning the filter back on ( you don't want too much sand getting in your mechanical parts). Get the water back to temp as you would if doing a big water change.

Good luck, post a before & after pic.

Cheers.

Thanks so much Dougie... Really helpful..

Certainly will post a before and after.. Going to buy all the bits and bobs... got my eye on a nice piece of wood. and the sand then will get going...

Cheers for the advice...

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back