Complete Newbie

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Yes, someone else has said that to me also. Just thought you could buy individual bottles.

You can, but its cheaper to buy a set from what I've seen.

I ordered this one the other day and it came today. It's £18.75 including delivery which I thought was reasonable, especially as its £35 in Pets at Home. I paid 75p extra for 1st class and it took 2 days to deliver (most probably the postman's fault for not being next day!).

Si.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I have taken my old filter out my tank as I now have a new filter. I managed to squeeze my old foam pads into the new filter. My question is, I want to keep my old filter as a backup, but how would you guys store it? It has 2 carbon pads still in it and they are still soaking along with the sponge bit that hangs in the tank.
Thanks.

You should put the old foam pads in the new filter. Squeezing them out doesn't do anything. You can store the old filter by cleaning it and letting it dry out really well. Just toss the old carbon pads.

Thanks. I didn't squeeze them out, I squeezed them INTO the new filter, lol. The slots in the new filter are slightly narrower.
Thanks for the advice :)

How many neon tetras should I have for them to be comfortable? I have 5 at the moment.

6 at the low end, 10-12 if possible, but you'll be overstocking your tank at that point. I wouldn't add anything at all until you're completely cycled.

I've looked on the forum for answer but can't find 1. For 'fish-in' cycling on average, how long does it take to cycle your tank?
I have had no nitrite or nitrate readings at all. My ammonia levels have never went above 0.25 due to WC. If I do a 10% WC it seems that my fish are more at the top of the tank and not swimming much. If I do a 20% WC it takes the ammonia levels to 0 and the fish seem to be more happier swimming as normal.

Less ammonia means less poison in the water, so that's why they act better after the larger water change. How long it takes is highly variable. The ammonia is being processed to some degree by the backs, just not nearly as fast as the fish produce it. It can take a few weeks to a couple months. Patience is the key.

Click on the link in my sig which will bring you right to the Beginner's Resource Center.

This Old Spouse said:
Click on the link in my sig which will bring you right to the Beginner's Resource Center.
I've read the beginners guide.
Definetly patience is the key. Its just that I thought I would at least see nitrite climbing.

Sorry. I misread that you couldn't find an answer. Best of luck ...

How long has it been?

By removing the ammonia when it reaches low levels, you are keeping the nitrite down too. Which isn't a bad thing. The bacs you want thrive in very low nitrite environments so, you are really slowing the process down by doing the water changes, and you are keeping the fish alive, which is the most important thing.

Like I said it can take a couple months, sometimes. I assume you are using dechlorinated water for your water changes?

eaglesaquarium said:
How long has it been?
By removing the ammonia when it reaches low levels, you are keeping the nitrite down too. Which isn't a bad thing. The bacs you want thrive in very low nitrite environments so, you are really slowing the process down by doing the water changes, and you are keeping the fish alive, which is the most important thing.
Like I said it can take a couple months, sometimes. I assume you are using dechlorinated water for your water changes?
I've had fish in the tank just over 2 weeks now. I am using dechlorinator for my tap water. I am checking my water levels twice a day. Sometimes I can go 2 days with no ammonia. Other times it will be 12 hrs the ammonia hits 0.25 this is when I do water changes.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back