Compatibility Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mattless,

No, it's not common sense, if it was these forums would be empty. (As Amercians (not all, just in case Frankie reads and has a hissy fit) would say 'period'!)

'im sorry you dont appreciate the links and pasted info but the majority are thankfull for these.... ' - I missed them relating to our volume topic?

We are going around in circles now, all too subjective for me.

What shall we debate next? :D
well as we know you do understand that torpedo barbs are fast fish that need more space than say a swordtail for example, so going on the fact that you know this surely common sense is the key really.... isnt it? 180L tank! if its a rio then its just over 3ft.

the links werent related to the topic title no, but seeing as you needed a guide to understanding about agrophobia... there it was to help you! or if you didnt need the link as you jested using the term "in no way detailed"....

these forums are indeed to try and improve and to share your knowledge with others for the sake of the fish, time and money. they are a wonderfull place full of experience and many years of fish keeping. i doubt they would all be empty if people used common sense as there are many things people need to find out. cycling is an example of this as no body gets told about cycling a tank at the lfs then their fish die and so on..... this is a case where common sense cant be used without the knowledge of the cycle involved in maturing the filter to be able to keep fish safe, and who has that knowledge if they have never kept fish before without coming on places like here first? on the other hand if you know you have fast fish then common sense says they just might... need a bigger tank, surely. the same as big fish need big tanks etc etc

Does anyone know if a red tailed black shark would get on with a red line torpedo barb?

Also would a RTBS get on with a rubber nose plece?

180 litre tank.

Thanks in advanced

Let's keep things calm and stay on topic please.

Let me add my own observations to Inchworm's astute observations. I find, as a citizen of Canada, that much of the native US attitudes are a bit strange to me, even though I live in the US. Those who don't learn from history are DOOMED to REPEAT it is a quote, did you bother to cite your source? I find that an "English sense of humor" is difficult for someone who is not of a UK origin to interpret at times. That does not mean that I am totally ignorant of the UK humor but that it is often too subtle for the rest of us to interpret correctly. One factor that seems to often be a source of humor among "brits" is the whole idea of class consciousness. Most of the rest of the world does not begin to understand class as it is interpreted by the UK members. I find that when I can find the class interpretation of a UK comedy, it is far funnier than when I can't figure it out. On other fronts, fish do not lend themselves readily to a class conscious sense of humor. That means to me that humor would rely more on inconsistencies than anything else. If I cannot find the inconsistencies, I will probably not correctly interpret the humor in a situation.
The idea of worrying about clinical symptoms of agoraphobia and claustrophobia strikes me as fertile ground for such an inconsistency being developed except that if you must explain a joke, it is not funny. I do not find anything funny after the joke needs to be explained. It must just jump up and grab me to really be funny. Any joke that requires explanation is a waste of time, except of course my own jokes. They are always funny, by definition. I will not ROFL unless someone says something that just grabs me and tickles my sense of humor. I am not without one simply because I find english humor too hard to figure out. It simply means that what I see in english humor is only funny to someone completely immersed in the society, not an outsider like me.

Is anyone ready to get back to the original topic?

I think we need a MODERATOR to come by and delete every comment that went off topic one bit. I only said something because IC1 started insulting people because of age and region of the world they live in was totally inappropriate. This is a fish forum if they misread your comments you could simply say sorry it was meant as a joke. NO REASON what so ever to become a cry baby and start insulting whole groups of people for no reason.

Hi Guys!

Apologies for leaving you wanting, have been v busy with work lately, not had chance to get to a pc.

Back to the sub-topic, and I suggest we start with Frankie21 (Mattlee has had a go, but is citing common sense, however if we all know the same information relating fish keeping, this forum would not exist! Books wouldn't be written etc etc) who has been very vocal but has yet to contribute constructively on this topic...

Where is the evidence supporting minimum tank size for various fish species, specifically in this case RLTB?
If 3 ft is too 'small' why?

Over to you Frankie21, or anyone who can help.

IC1 :hyper:

The size is more common sense than anything; size is a big factor, esp for those of the more aggressive type, as they need territory. The bigger the space, the less likely they will clash. Then we move onto the ammonia and nitrite issue, if a tank is overcrowded, both these levels will be higher and in the long run will damage your fish, if it hasn't killed them.

The size is more common sense than anything; size is a big factor, esp for those of the more aggressive type, as they need territory. The bigger the space, the less likely they will clash. Then we move onto the ammonia and nitrite issue, if a tank is overcrowded, both these levels will be higher and in the long run will damage your fish, if it hasn't killed them.
Beth please dont mention common sense to IC1 as he obviously has none......

he has been leaving us wanting..... what!!!!!! :hyper: :unsure: :blink:

not sure what it is we want to be honest....!

i think what IC1 wants is a bigger tank to house his torpedo barbs end of, what we want is IC1 to crack a joke that makes us laugh... or maybe even smile or at least something we get (even the americans and under 17's, hey IC1 :unsure: )

like i said in previous reply.....these forums are indeed to try and improve and to share your knowledge with others for the sake of the fish, time and money. they are a wonderfull place full of experience and many years of fish keeping. i doubt they would all be empty if people used common sense as there are many things people need to find out. cycling is an example of this as no body gets told about cycling a tank at the lfs then their fish die and so on..... this is a case where common sense cant be used without the knowledge of the cycle involved in maturing the filter to be able to keep fish safe, and who has that knowledge if they have never kept fish before without coming on places like here first? on the other hand if you know you have fast fish then common sense says they just might... need a bigger tank, surely. the same as big fish need big tanks etc etc

i dont think it sinks in to IC1 that torpedo barbs are not suitable for a 3ft tank and without scientific evidence is not happy with this statement..... im not sure what else IC1 wants to hear maybe someone else without common sense to say he is right and his fish will enjoy their lives in a tank too small :lol: :lol: :lol:

Read the forums some of the people have common sense.

Topic Name "Red Line Torpedo Barbs"
How quick do they grow? Have the chance of 6 which are currently an inch long. Current tank is 180l (47gal) but have plans to upgrade to 300l (80gal) but was wondering how quickly they would grow.

I have 10 in a 860 litre (227gal) tank. Good idea to upgrade to a 300litre.

I do not believe there are many 180l tanks that are under 4ft unless they are a deep tank then maybe. Another person who has them recommends WAITING till they upgrade to buy them even with a 180l tank. JUST the FACTS I am not even getting sucked into your stupid arguments.

Read the forums some of the people have common sense.

Topic Name "Red Line Torpedo Barbs"
How quick do they grow? Have the chance of 6 which are currently an inch long. Current tank is 180l (47gal) but have plans to upgrade to 300l (80gal) but was wondering how quickly they would grow.

I have 10 in a 860 litre (227gal) tank. Good idea to upgrade to a 300litre.

I do not believe there are many 180l tanks that are under 4ft unless they are a deep tank then maybe. Another person who has them recommends WAITING till they upgrade to buy them even with a 180l tank. JUST the FACTS I am not even getting sucked into your stupid arguments.
Hi Frankie,

i think the tank is a juwel 180 so just over 3ft, not 100% on that though......

now these facts you have gathered are they scientific....? :lol: as only scientific facts seem acceptable not just things thrown in the air from members of forums. :lol:

While it is true that there is no exact science behind minimum tank sizes, years of captive observation and past experience keeping schooling fish gives you an idea as to what the rltb needs. No, there is no cut and dried answer to your query.

I don't believe I have ever seen a scientific explanation behind everything involved with this hobby, but over the years I have learned to trust those more experienced than I.

I agree that you need to keep them in a group of at least 6 and that they will need a 4 foot long tank.

Mattlee you're wound up as tight as a drum!!!! :lol:

Let's see if you find one of these jokes funny (I've kept them simple for you, and on topic!)

What do you call a fish with no eyes ?
Fsh !

How do fish go into business ?
They start on a small scale !

Why are dolphins cleverer than humans ?
Within 3 hours they can train a man to stand at the side of a pool and feed them fish !

Why is a fish easy to weigh ?
Because it has its own scales !

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

Mattlee you state so profoundly:

'i dont think it sinks in to IC1 that torpedo barbs are not suitable for a 3ft tank'

My question to you is why?

Because 'it's common sense' and because other people with experience 'say so' is NOT good enough for me, you state a fact with no substance behind it. :zz :fish: :yahoo:

It's obvious that you will do what you want, further trolling Mattlee won't get you your answer. Since you will accept nothing short of a scientist presenting you with a perfect scientific explanation, why don't you start the process of finding one.

welcome back IC1 we have missed you..... :fun:

agree with robby, why dont you go find a scientific explanation into the question.......?

'Because 'it's common sense' and because other people with experience 'say so' is NOT good enough for me, you state a fact with no substance behind it.'

:lol: then why did you join a forum? as they are full of other experienced people giving advice that may not be scientifically proven :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: im sure there are a scientist or 2 on here why not find them and get them to give you the evidence needed....

'i dont think it sinks in to IC1 that torpedo barbs are not suitable for a 3ft tank'

My question to you is why?

i have no idea why it doesnt sink in..... its you mind, so maybe you can tell us? maybe your head is full of real funny jokes that there is not enough room left for a bit of common sense about a fast 'torpedo' shaped fish that needs as much room as possible. like all fish infact but we can only provide them with as much room as we can afford or fit into our homes, why dont you put an oscar or 2 in as well maybe a few puffers? although advise on here will tell you not to as your tank is too small and the species arent compatable that advice will only have been given by non scientists with no scientific evidence to back them up with.......

give it a go and get back to us, maybe with some scientific evidence of your own :lol: :lol: :lol: :*

FORGET it lets all just take a 12-18 inch fish and put it in a 24 inch tank that's 12 inch deep so it CAN'T TURN AROUND and hardy move because there is no SCIENTIFIC EVIDENCE proving otherwise. Do some research on your own and u can make some basic common sense conclusions like the rest of us. It's hard for us to deal with someone as foolish as you IC1 because you join a message board group of people sharing ideas, opinions, experiences etc... and then want to argue with us.

REMEMBER your the FOOL that asked for peoples opinion because nowhere did you ask for a SCIENTIST OR THEIR RESEARCH:

QUOTE from you:
Does anyone know if a red tailed black shark would get on with a red line torpedo barb?

Also would a RTBS get on with a rubber nose plece?

180 litre tank.

Thanks in advanced

IC1

Boys,

You have missed the point...again. :huh:

Yes, I did ask...and got a blunt statement. What are the facts behind your assumptions? where is the science? do not do yourselves down, do either of you have an 'ology'? lol.

Don't get agressive or defensive, discuss properly.

Over to you, maybe if the both discuss offline and present your answer, I will mark. Remember, extra credit for workings.

:thanks:

IC1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back