Colder water for guppies?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I have 5 guppies and they are living in a 70l tank. I have a 200l already set up, with no fish in it.

I have done lots of tests and the water is exactly the same as the 70l (uk).

The guppies are currently living with 3 rosy barbs (rehoming them soon). I didn't realise rosys were so aggressive.

They have absolutely terrorised the life out of my guppies. I want to put them in a separate tank until I get rid of the barbs.

The only problem is, I have no idea how to control the new old heater. They would be in here over night until I get it sorted.
I have accidentally put the temperature up to 33°c and have no idea how to put it down again. The water is about 27°c, same as their current one.
I have turned the heater off so of course the water is cooling down. It will probably be around 18°c in the morning, and the rest of tomorrow until I get a new heater.
I have done some research and apparently guppies can survive in cold waters like 16°c, but I'm worried they might die.

I'm trying to work out how to work the heater but it's really frustrating.
Should I put the guppies in? Or wait until a few days to get a new heater. (It may be fixed tomorrow.)

Also from my last post 'guppies staying at the bottom?', I realised what's bothering them. It's not the water at all, it's the barbs. They rip their tails off and scare them horribly.

By the way, I have only set up the tank today. But the water is exactly the same and I've put a lot of the old tank water into the new tank for bacterias and stuff. There is a filter as well. I just feel really bad because I know it's my fault.
Update: I put the guppies in the 200l today. My dad came round and fixed the heater, I still don't understand it. But they seem happier without the barbs.
Also, the temp in the 200l didnt go down all night. In fact, it was about 2° warmer than the current one even though it had no heater.
But thanks for your help :)

Guppies can withstand 15°C and up. But adapt them gradually.
But when a heater stops doing its job, the water doesn't cool down that fast. So, I wouldn't be worried about those guppies.

The man has owned fish for over 30 years and him and the other man have that filter. There was also a tank in the shop where the filter was being used.
You can't always trust fish store employees.

There's a lesson here. Keep spare gear on hand. Heaters , air pumps , airline tubing and the various connectors , silicone aquarium sealant , thermometers and light bulbs. Even a spare ten gallon isn't a bad idea except that you'll be tempted to set it up if you have all the stuff for it.
Well I have a spare 15 gallon now. I do have a spare heater and filter it's just not powerful enough for the 200l. I just wasnt sure how to use the heater because I just got it, I still dont understand it but I'll live

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back