Cold Water Fish

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Ardvark

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Daughter wants to copy me and have a fish tank. She got herself one but it's only 17 liters. On top of that she only wants cold water fish.

Now I know it's not under the "Tropical" umbrella but has any members got any ideas with regards type of fish and how many bearing in mind the small tank and that the fish will grow.

I think maybe a white cloud minnow could work. Only two or three. I have never had them before but I think they are cold water. It is hard to stock a tank that size. If you do get a heater you could put in a female betta. I wouldn't do a male because they get much larger. I have a female betta in a 6 gallon and I wouldn't go too much smaller. 

I think you should get your daughter a bigger tank, as WCMs need schools of at least five.

LyraGuppi said:
I think you should get your daughter a bigger tank, as WCMs need schools of at least five.

And a lot of swimming room, as they are very active fish, even though they're small in size. I wouldn't put them in anything less than a three foot, personally.

I honestly can't think of any cold water/temperate fish that can go in a tank of that size and even with tropicals, her options are going to be quite limited.

You can never go wrong for cold with sunfishes. There's some small varieties out there that are suitable for a home aquarium. Do keep in mind though that they can be aggressive so keeping them by their own species is important.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back