Coconut Shells

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

L200

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi all!

Does anyone on here use coconut shells for caves in their tank,if so does anyone know where I could buy some from?

Mikk

I dont yet, but I'm planning one picking some up, soon, where from? the local supermarket (well in australia you get them from the supermarket).

If you want (or dont mind the tannins), remove the coconut flesh then just cut or break to size. If you dont want the tannins, boiling for a few hours helps.

Andrew

Do a search for coconut shell you will see a good few posts on the matter

Just make your own, thats what I did, use a hacksaw to gently cut around it then just tap with a hammer till it breaks, scoop out the cocnut inside and there you have it, first step to two coconut huts costing you about 30p each....and you still have a bowl of lovely coconut Mmmm

Make sure you boil the shell for an hour then soak it in coldwater for 2 hours before putting it in.

....also try to remove as much of the 'hair' as you can, its easier with a knife.

You can use a junior hacksw to cut a 'door' in it.

Everyone's pretty much summed it up. You can grow Java moss on it to make it look better. Here's a pic:

nov_14_2k5_0003.jpg

when you plant them, they do look good, which is why i think so many people love them.

Tesco's sell them at about 40p each. Just beware, it will cost you £4.25 in postage and packaging if you plan to send one to a friend in wales because you joked once "congratulations, have a coconut"

Just beware, it will cost you £4.25 in postage and packaging if you plan to send one to a friend in wales because you joked once "congratulations, have a coconut"

you sound like your speaking from experience? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Down at an English fair,
One evening I was there,
When I heard a showman shouting
Underneath the flare:

Hoi've got a lo-ve-ly bunch o' coconuts.
There they are a-standin' in a row.
Big ones, small ones, some as big as yer 'ead!
Give 'em a twist, a flick o' the wrist....

:fun: :fun: :fun:

Andrew

it was experience, ive become known as a bit of a joker for sending mundane things in the post.

Ive often wanted to send drugs through the post though, just so I could announce the Queen has illegal drugs in her possession.

The same girl in wales, I was speaking to her via MSN once on webcam and eating grapes. She started complaining that she wanted some grapes so I proclaimed "i'll post you some".

So i posted some raisens with a note saying "i hope the grapes are still fresh when they reach you."

The postman was very curious about the parcel too as I put the return address as "beerman" a nickname she gave me from the first time we met - you can guess the rest.

This seems like a great idea. In the past I've always used ceramic breeding caves. I might try the coconut shell with Java Moss. They probably look better than ceramic caves.

Theres a thread in the DIY section, check it out. I also made them, it doesnt look too bad tho.

Thanks,the Idea was to get some java moss and grow it on ithe shells.
My LFS has said thaey are willing to let me sell them there.
I was wanting to be idle and have em precleaned and the coir off as well so all i had to do was the soaking!

will have a look at the DIY section.

Mikk

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back