CO2

Discomafia

mmm...
Reaction score
I know an airstone isn't exactly the best idea in a DIY CO2 system, what do you all use? I've got a small Hawkeye airpump that came with my 1 gallon that I bought ages ago for my betta, will that be of any use? I was thinking of maybe running the tubing into a upturned clay pot or something, and adjusting it at an angle so that the CO2 will have time to diffuse. Will that work, or can you guys suggest a better alternative?

Thanks,

hey there :) if we are thinking of the same air pump ( the normal one ) that really isn't of much use for me unless your air is really rich with c02 ( which i doubt :) ) and regarding diffusion methods there are a lot of ways and the upturned clay pot is one of em.. here are a few methods you can take a look at
http://www.thekrib.com/Plants/CO2/

btw im not sure about this but using an airstone connected to an air pump ( your typical one) might cause more c02 loss :) hope i helped. somebody correct me if im wrong. :)

Thanks man, appreciate the info. So I guess upturned pot it is then! :D :D I'm going to get a plastic see-thru bell or bowl, so that I can know how much CO2 is actually in there... Only thing is, how am I going to weigh it down? Will figure something out.

I have set up a DIY CO2 syetem before, but used an airstone with it. After reading many posts on this forum regarding the ineffectiveness of this method, I went on a search to find better methods of diffusion. I've managed to collect some links on making your own DIY CO2 reactor, which I'm posting here because I hope will help the other members.

http://www.thekrib.com/Plants/CO2/
http://www.thekrib.com/Plants/CO2/co2-narten.html
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/diy_co2.php
http://www.plantedtank.net/co2.html
http://fish.orbust.net/carbondioxide.html
http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Hills/2637/index.html

HTH.

well when i was still using an upturned cup to diffuse c02, i places it on the top corner of my tank and secured it with suction cups, :D and btw i think its better to place the upturned cup near a water current so that c02 diffusion is better. Somebody correct me if im wrong :)

o ya o ya dont forget the checkvalve :D

yep, can't forget the check valve! :p :p Don't want to come back home one day and find a huge mess on the floor :crazy: Is it alright if I placed it slightly below or to the either side of my filter? Would that mean that the plants nearer to the bell would get more CO2 and the ones towards the other end, get less? I was thinking to put it right in the middle of the tank, but...

oh and another thing, dont forget the bubble counter ( which is kinda like another bottle filled with water to allow you to count the bubbles ) ive read somewhere that yeast might form on the airstone if you dont do this, i think the water filters out the spores or something im not sure didn't really try without the bubble counter.

Ive also read that article and since i had a HOB filter i scoured the net trying to look for a solution, i found a few articles on the other forums that actually say that HOB filters are quite good dissipators of C02 AS LONG AS you fill up your tank to the brim of the downfall part of your HOB so that the water doesn't splash too much.

And yes i think that its a good idea to keep the bell far from surface agitation but near water current ( well this is only my opinion but i think its better if new water always goes under the bell so as to provide more water to dissipate c02 into )

BTW what filter do you use ?

and as always the best way to find out if your c02 diffusion method is working is by testing the water, who knows maybe with just the upturned bell near the current your getting 15ppm of c02 which is great ! :D

sombody correct me if im wrong :D

kenneth_kpe said:
oh and another thing, dont forget the bubble counter ( which is kinda like another bottle filled with water to allow you to count the bubbles ) ive read somewhere that yeast might form on the airstone if you dont do this, i think the water filters out the spores or something im not sure didn't really try without the bubble counter.

Ive also read that article and since i had a HOB filter i scoured the net trying to look for a solution, i found a few articles on the other forums that actually say that HOB filters are quite good dissipators of C02 AS LONG AS you fill up your tank to the brim of the downfall part of your HOB so that the water doesn't splash too much.

And yes i think that its a good idea to keep the bell far from surface agitation but near water current ( well this is only my opinion but i think its better if new water always goes under the bell so as to provide more water to dissipate c02 into )

BTW what filter do you use ?

and as always the best way to find out if your c02 diffusion method is working is by testing the water, who knows maybe with just the upturned bell near the current your getting 15ppm of c02 which is great ! :D

sombody correct me if im wrong :D
Aqua Tech 5-15... Came with the tank

hey this is just a follow up, im using DIY c02 and injected via the intake of my hob, My c02 level is just 6 -9 ppm !! Really really bad, i just measured it today. hahaha so i think they are correct about em HOB filters. :)

kenneth_kpe said:
hey this is just a follow up, im using DIY c02 and injected via the intake of my hob, My c02 level is just 6 -9 ppm !! Really really bad, i just measured it today. hahaha so i think they are correct about em HOB filters. :)
yep, that's why I'm going for the bell method...

Now all I need is a suitable bell, that's non-toxic for the fishes and is also see-thru...

Discomafia said:
kenneth_kpe said:

Now all I need is a suitable bell, that's non-toxic for the fishes and is also see-thru...
how about the suction part of a gravel cleaner?

AquaSeaFoam said:
Discomafia said:
kenneth_kpe said:

how about the suction part of a gravel cleaner?
suction part of gravel cleaner? My gravel cleaner doesn't have any suction parts.

before i used a transparent plastic cup secured to the side of the tank via sunction cups. :) hehe actually im gonna try it again and see if it would help the levels of my c02, il tell you if it does, if it doesn't and since we both use HOB, we better think of another way hahahaha

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back