Co2 Injection

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Far2lively

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a setup for my planted Fluval Roma 200

I have been told c02 fire extinguishers can be used, what exactly do I need to get started??

Thanks in advance!

Can anyone recommend a setup for my planted Fluval Roma 200

I have been told c02 fire extinguishers can be used, what exactly do I need to get started??

Thanks in advance!
fire extinguishers???
thats a crazy diy idea i look forward to seeing that in action
at least the fish dont have to worry about the plants catching on fire

Don't waste your time adding carbon dioxide (CO2) to an aquarium unless it is full of fast growing aquatic plants and you add fertiliser and have lots of light. I don't know if the Roma tank has lots of light.

Hi I had Co2 set up on my tank with a fire extinguisher worked really well as the cylinder is the same fitting as any. I used a Co2 art one I got the basic one but would recommend getting the advanced one as it has a quick release valve on it which is really useful. Other than your regulator youā€™ll need the fire extinguisher, some Co2 airline, a drop checker and drop checker fluid and thatā€™s it for the kit. Youā€™ll also need a decent light that puts out enough power a soil substrate and daily dosing of a liquid fertiliser. I donā€™t think your current lights will work so check out chiheros, ada or twin star all going to be expensive for a four foot tank.

It is a big commitment and can go wrong youā€™re basically putting a pressurised cylinder in your home and while with the regulator it is safe if you squeeze the handles on the fire extinguishers youā€™ll see the massive pressure your dealing with.

Have you ever seen md fish tanks on YouTube his are all low tech and really good just shows you what you can do without Co2.

Wills

Yes plants do need CO2, light and water. but they also need Nitrogen, potassium, calcium, magnesium, phosphate, sulfur, chloride, iron, manganese, boron, zinc, copper, molybdenum and nickel. these items are found in fertilizers or steam and lake water with growing plants. typically plant growth issues are not caused by CO2.

if just one of the 14 nutrients is missing plants won't grow or grow very slowly. While your tap water typically has some calcium, magnesium, sulfate and chloride it may not have amy of the metals such as iron. you might not need CO2 it yo have an air stone our if you have some ripples on the surface of the water due to the pumping the filter.

if you don't vet have plants try a floating plant such as Redroot floater or salvina. if these do well you might be able to grow plants with little effort. IF The plants don't grow wo the leaves die or have holes in them you might need to fertilize the water.

The tank currently houses 1 single Channa pulchra, I have just upgraded his tank from a fluval Roma 125 to the 200, of the c02 injection isnā€™t necessary then Iā€™ll leave it, the only reason I was looking into it was looking at setups on YouTube and the plants look very vibrant etc, I have picked up some fertiliser for the water so we will see how that goes.

Thanks for al the replies!!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back