Co2 And Filtration

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

elmo666

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Ok guys. Got a Juwel 90ltr planted tank and have set up yeast co2. I have the diffuser down in front of the filter so that the water is circulating well as the co2 rises to the oulet. However, there are intake grills 4" up on the front and at the moment about half the gas is being drawn into the heater section. Now am wondering wether to move it so it all rises to the top, or is it going to have more contact time going into the filter, and this may actually be of benefit? Any thoughts please, as I really can't decide. Thanks

Hey, I have had good advice on another forum that is dedicated to aquascaping. From what I've read there is that if you do have the CO2 go through the filter itself it does diffuse the bubbles much better and you get much more CO2 out of it. So it would be beneficial having the CO2 go through your filter, this way the CO2 bubbles get broken up before they reach the top.

Thanks, will take a look at that. The reason I couldn't decide was I was using common sense against lack of knowledge.......... Let me explain. I had a 450 ltr setup that had a built in rear trickle and also an external. When I first dabbled in co2, yeast again, I placed the tube into the grill on the external uplift, my thoughts being that it would have a longer contact time and the impeller would "smash" any remaining bubbles that reached it, thus aiding absorbtion. Sadly, my epilepsy is playing up so for safety reasons that tank had to go as I used steps to get into it, it stood 4' tall on the cabinet and had 26" water depth. Right there you have it. You have helped me make my mind up. I will place the diffuser inside the filter. Cheers.

Best of posting this in planted section mate so I'll move it there where you'll get better responses.

With the bubbles being sucked into the compartment, if it has air space or an open top it will gas off wasting CO2,best thing to do is put the diffuser opposite end of the outlet from the filter, this way as the water is pushed in its direction it hits the glass and flows downwards which also pushes the bubbles round the tank and down rather than them moving straight up, this might solve the issue. :)

Best of posting this in planted section mate so I'll move it there where you'll get better responses.

With the bubbles being sucked into the compartment, if it has air space or an open top it will gas off wasting CO2,best thing to do is put the diffuser opposite end of the outlet from the filter, this way as the water is pushed in its direction it hits the glass and flows downwards which also pushes the bubbles round the tank and down rather than them moving straight up, this might solve the issue. :)
Thanks. Got to say am a little confused now. :crazy: The reason is that the juwel filter is drawing it in from the bottom, so am assuming it is going through the powerhead and back into the tank. Does that make sense? :blink: Now, if it was drawing in at the top, as these juwel filters do both, I could see it getting gassed off and going to waste. :crazy: So, what to do.....site it in the bottom of the filter where it will be drawn into the powerhead or place it at the far end of my tank?? The other thing is that in the filter it is nicely hidden away. :good:

I see what you mean, get a drop checker, check CO2 levels as they may be fine but I doubt it.

Ok, good point. Just a thought. Bearing in mind am using a yeast generator, and please excuse me for showing my ignorance, I don't have much co2 experience, if i do use a drop checker, is there alot I can do if it's out anyway, as it can't easily be regulated?

Well if its too low you can add more bottles and more yeast so you each bottle is used up quicker but more co2 is injected. There's a thread explaining at the top of the lighting, co2, ferts and flow section here.

Most reactions

trending

Back