Clown Plecos - What Do You Feed Them?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

tmh0921

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Anyone have clown plecos? I wanted to get two zebra plecos for my 75g cichlid tank because their black and white coloring and size suited my tank. After finding out the price :crazy: I decided that wasn't going to work so I settled on clown plecos instead since they don't get bigger than around 4".

I've been reading up on their requirements, and their water conditions and temperature seem to fit with my dward cichlids, but I'm getting conflicting feeding requirements....so...

1. Do they need wood to eat (one site said they eat driftwood).
2. Do they eat algae? Some sites say yes, some say no.
3. Veggies....most sites agree on feeding them veggies for their fiber needs. So, Brussel Sprouts, Cucumber, Zucchini, etc.? I feed my Otos (in my community tanks) veggies so this wouldn't be a problem.
4. Algae/Veggie wafers? I've seen this listed on some sites as food for these guys. Do they eat them?

I have some fake driftwood with about 6 caves built in, plus 6 other bottom caves (rock and coconut shell) on the bottom that they can hide in during the day (at least the ones not taken by the cichlids) so I have that covered.

My good LFS (not the chains) have these little guys on sale for $5.99 (about 40% off), so I'd like to get 2.

Thanks.

Hi mate I have 2 clown plecs and they seem to only eat the wood that is in my tank.... others with more experience will be able to tell you more, I'd also be interested to know if I should be feeding them anything else, because everything I've tried they've not touched.

OK, I can add some wood, but guess I need to find out what kind of wood would be safe for them. Obviously I wouldn't add any regular chemically treated wood...would tree branches, etc. work?

I am not sure but I would imagine any wood sold in a LFS would be good... everything I've read on them suggests vegetables as well to give them a more healthy balanced diet but every time i've tried they've just left it... I guess I should just keep trying. also I hardly ever see mine any more they only appear at night and when they think i'm not watching.

It took me ages to get mine to eat anything but algae wafers! I put a few peas in a few days ago and they keep vanishing so I think it's now the new plec food for me hehe

I picked up 2 clown plecos and some small pieces of driftwood, now all I need are my Amano shrimp and my stocking will be complete!

A bit late but I feed my clown plec algae wafers, plus vegetables and he/she has a big piece of driftwood. It NEVER ate algae, I ended up wiping it off myself until I did a tank swap and put the female BN instead - everything in the tank spotless overnight :D She is a beast, though, and eats my amazon swords which the clown never did.

My clown is very pretty but BORING. Honestly I never see it unless I take all the decorations out for a change around or whatever.

After finding out the price :crazy: I decided that wasn't going to work

I know how that feels! :lol:

If like most Pleco's they will rasp on wood. So adding it is essential. They could possibly graze on algae, but maybe not so much you will notice the difference.

Feeding them algae wafers at night will be key too. My pleco & the majority of others will only feed at night when the lights are out.

Cucumber will be a nice treat from time to time.

Would love to see some pictures of your new Clowns :good:

James.

My clown is very pretty but BORING. Honestly I never see it unless I take all the decorations out for a change around or whatever.

Clown Plecs tend to be pretty nocturnal (especially as they grow older), and very shy, hence why n manyot people bother with them.

Its a shame as they are very nice looking fish, but they take up a fair amount of your tanks "allowance" being swiming poop machines, and for a fish you'll likely never see, you can see why more people dont buy them.

I guess if you have a huge tank and allowance to spare, its nice to give one a good home, even if you dont see it!

Clown Plecs tend to be pretty nocturnal (especially as they grow older), and very shy, hence why n manyot people bother with them.

Its a shame as they are very nice looking fish, but they take up a fair amount of your tanks "allowance" being swiming poop machines, and for a fish you'll likely never see, you can see why more people dont buy them.

I guess if you have a huge tank and allowance to spare, its nice to give one a good home, even if you dont see it!

The clown was bought as a 'replacement plec' for my community tank when I moved the bristlenose to the betta tank (don't worry, not a vase or cube or anything :p ) because he has silk plants and she was destroying the real ones. Granted, the BN never came out much either, but you could usually catch her stuck to a leaf or in her slate cave or something. Of course, as soon as we put him in he shuffled off and has never been seen since, until we swapped them back and he shuffled off behind the fake plants and disappeared again :D

Well the two clown plecos I added hide during the day but come out and are fairly active at night and morning. I see them both each morning trolling around. They have driftwood, and I've been dropping in algae wafers and a veggie in at night (they got zucchini last night). So far I know they're eating the algae wafers and munching the wood. I also added some otos for the algae (have lots of diatoms and they are going to town). I have amano shrimp arriving today and already have MTS so I have the clean up squad covered. I like that they aren't going after my plants which cost me a nice chunk of change.

BTW - I put their driftwood up front near the glass so I get to see them more. Since they are small pieces, they don't block the views and blend in with the plants

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back