Cloudy Water From Sand

I fed mine in the evening. btw don't get freaked out if it looks like they are eating each other as in have another frogs leg in their mouth they occasionally moult and their buddies don't like to waste the nutrients and can't wait until it fully sheds. No one told me that and one day I walked in to find them in a very strange position. They are also partial to shrimp if they can get them:

(Click to enlarge)

OMG I'm so upset - I was just taking some lovely pics of my cuties when the BN came storming over the bogwood & did his hardest to kill one of the froggies. He actually chased it & was really violent. It was upsetting. I don't know where the little frog has gone, but the others are in danger now. I'm going to catch the BN & put him in a guppy breeding trap for now then see if the LFS will take him back tomorrow.

Sorry to hear your frogs and BN aren't getting on :( i feed mine in the evenings too, i feed in the same spot each time. If it's blood worms or brine shrimp they come looking for it pretty quickly, but it takes them a bit longer to realise there's reptomin in there. i tend to use a turkey baster to gently blow the food in front of them or use a long handle tweezers sometimes to stimulate their natural hunting behaviour. they're really cat-like with arched backs and noses to the sand when they're looking for food. I agree with saltnay, it's pretty worrying seeing them do their zen meditation thing the fist time, one little guy was halfway up the bogwood in my tank, then froze, fell back to the sand and lay motionless on his back for a couple of minutes. All of a sudden he was back to swimming happily around the tank again. Oh, and I heard one of my males singing for the first time a couple nights ago, I’ll be all set up with a recorder to try and capture it next time.

A

Thx Andy :-( oooo that was horrible. I've managed to catch the BN, so he'll just have to stay the night in prison I'm afraid. I moved a few bits of decor around while I was delving into the water & now have tried to do a froggy headcount but its not easy. I've found two of them who have already claimed their favourite spot but I won't rest til I find the other two. I know what you mean about the zen position - I've googled these guys so much over the past few days that I was ready for it. I seen them swim up to the surface too which they do at great speed & even faster coming down when they bump their tiny noses on the substrate ouch. That must hurt :rolleyes:

Here's a couple of pics that I was taking b4 that awful BN incident. I love the one of the little frog taking off from the jug thing.
SDC14443.jpg

SDC14441.jpg

SDC14457.jpg

SDC14459.jpg

you have gorgeous little frogs!!

I am so sorry about the BN - - I had one with my ADF and my another with newly morphed ACF with no worries - - but each one has a unique personality.

I hope you find the frog it pestered... fingers crossed for the little guy!

you have gorgeous little frogs!!

I am so sorry about the BN - - I had one with my ADF and my another with newly morphed ACF with no worries - - but each one has a unique personality.

I hope you find the frog it pestered... fingers crossed for the little guy!
Thanks Jenste I love them already - really worried this morning as I can't see them anywhere. The lights don't come on til 12 noon tho so I will search again. Yesterday after the 'attack' I only managed to find 3 on the other side of the tank but couldn't find the 4th. The BN really hammered into it poor little thing - made me feel sick. He was trying to grab it & he had it cornered which was worse. I've seen him lay into the platys too when they came too close to 'his' algae wafers. I managed to talk the LFS man into taking it from me, hoping he'd give me a couple of platys in exchange or a plant - but no. At least it's gone though. Will be interesting to see how much he charges for it.

So, do I just feed the frogs tonight or can I feed them twice a day maybe.

I've had another search but can only see one which ate a couple of pellets. No sign of the others. Do you think they'll come out when there's bloodworm tonight :unsure: ?

yea I am sure they will - -

another reason why its best to have a species tank, is you see them more. When in tanks with fish the frogs always seem, to me, much less active and much more likely to spend their time hiding.

They are also still adjusting to their new tank - - give them time to settle in. I would still consider setting up a tank just for them...it may be best in the long run. You wouldn't have to worry about feeding, fish, or finding them

yea I am sure they will - -

another reason why its best to have a species tank, is you see them more. When in tanks with fish the frogs always seem, to me, much less active and much more likely to spend their time hiding.

They are also still adjusting to their new tank - - give them time to settle in. I would still consider setting up a tank just for them...it may be best in the long run. You wouldn't have to worry about feeding, fish, or finding them

I know - trouble is I already have 3 tanks in my bedroom - no room really for more. I have actually seen them, well three anyway. They're under a bogwood arch - I squirted some Frog Bites to them & I think they got them.

Yeh, they are also pretty skittish in open spaces, as in the wild they make a tasty treat for bigger fish, etc... My frogs tend to like lying in the holes under my bogwood too or sliding behind the heater with their noses poking out of the water, so you've nothing to worry about (I've five and can usually only find four of them unless I'm looking really hard). They've got fairly distinct personalities too, one of my girls likes to find the fastest flowing part of the tank and play in the current. She's nearly always out at the front of the tank, while the others are a bit more shy. Like jenste says, they should settle a bit once they get used to their new home. Andy

Thanks folks - I'm sure they will. There's no threat at all from the Platys or Tetras. They're naturally drawn to them when the froggies swim up for air but that's it.

I've defrosted a tiny bit of frozen Krill in an egg cup of tank water, gave some to the fish first then dropped some down to where the frogs were last seen (under the bogwood).

I'll see how they go over the few weeks, its just that I don't see where I can add another tank unfortunately altho I do have a lovely sized square one - I think it must be about 10 gallons maybe. No lid but I'm sure I could concoct something out of window netting & stick on Velcro (Blue Peter addict when young lol) - mmmm - got me thinking now. Just have to find something to stand it on, then get another filter etc etc - ooer.

Well they've been out & about tonight - all 4 of them :good: !! So pleased I found them all. One has decided to set up home on the left side of the tank and the other 3 are all on the right side of the tank. One was stuffing the bit of krill down it's throat bless so funny.

One scary moment though, one frog decided to take a short cut behind the filter and became sucked against the inlet grid!! PANIC, but by the time I'd lifted the lid & rolled my sleeve up it'd got free - phew. Tomorrow I'm going to get some long strips of foam & wedge them each side of the filter housing - see if that works.

I used shot glasses as caves it worked out well:

At first I thought about using silcone to make a seal to keep the sand out however after placing them in I thought the sand pouring round the sides made a more natural look.

At first I thought about using silcone to make a seal to keep the sand out however after placing them in I thought the sand pouring round the sides made a more natural look.

Oh that's so cute, love it. It's the feeding part that's a bit of a pain as the platys are there in a shot when there's food about.

very cute!

Most reactions

Back