Copepods in my aquarium

Country joe

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I noticed in the last two details an explosion of very tiny white creatures crawing up my aquarium glass.
I looked it up and I think it could be Copepods, they are extremely small, if I'm right should I be worried.

Are they Y or I shaped?
I shaped are worms, usually detritus worms that come out of the substrate when the water and gravel is dirty. A big water change and gravel cleaning the substrate sorts them out.

If they are Y shaped they are copepods and not normally an issue. The males can sometimes attack fish's gills but they normally get eaten by other fish so nothing to really worry about.

They are extremely small could they be just hatched snails the way they are crawling up the glass.

Try and post a picture or video of them. Upload videos to YouTube, then copy & paste the link here.
If you use a mobile phone to film them, hold the phone horizontally (landscape mode) so the footage fills the entire screen.

I see copepods in my shrimp tanks all the time. I’ve always wanted them in my fishtanks and I would’ve purchased a supply of them if I would’ve found a vendor that sold them. I also have seed shrimp, but they are in a jar of green water on my window sill. Here is a couple of pictures I took with my macro lens. A female copepod with eggs and some seeded shrimp in my green water jar.

Attachments

• IMG_9624.jpeg
    IMG_9624.jpeg
    112 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_9552.jpeg
    IMG_9552.jpeg
    135.8 KB · Views: 3

Most reactions

Back