Cleaning The Glass On The Outside

lgarvey

Fish Crazy
Joined
Mar 7, 2008
Messages
266
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Manchester, UK
Hi Folks,

Quickie: is it OK to use a glass cleaner on the outside of a tank? There is a fitted lid so no chance of any direct spray from the glass cleaner. I'm wondering if this could contaminate the water? And if it's a no-no, what else can I use to keep the glass sparkling clear?

L
 
It can still get in the water.
I spray some glass cleaner on a cloth in another room then clean my glass.
Don't spray the glass cleaner onto the glass.
 
Same as Wilder, I spray it onto some kitchen towel away from the tank, no risk of any getting into it then.
 
i just keep it simple, warm water on a cloth, good scrub all over 'I have a large tank', then dry with a dry clean cloth...no risk thereafter of getting anything in the tank, or making the mistake of touching the tank before 'going in'.
 
I spray some glass cleaner on a cloth in another room then clean my glass.

Humm, cant see my wife agreeing to do that when she cleans the living room. I would suggest just turning your back to the tank and spray the cloth.

that seems a bit radical Wilder, have you had a bad experience?
 
I hold the glass cleaner bottle very close to the glass, with some kitchen roll underneath it and spray it on that way
 
Vinegar and warm water. Works great on windows and fishtanks. Just mix it in a tub and dip a cloth in to wipe the tank.
 
correct me if im wrong, however dont they use vinegar to remove silicone?
 
I just use tank water and kitchen towel - then buff with some dry kitchen towel. Works lovely!

Vinegar also great for glass - used it on my windows but never on my tanks, don't know about the silicon :blink:
 
I wouldn't think that vinegar would remove silicone. I use it to clean the outside of all of my tanks and also to clean out the inside of any 'new to me' tanks that I pick up...works wonders on limescale or salt buildup.
 
I personally use windolene. If you leave a small amount of polish on the glass it makes it harder for residue to stick the glass in future. Turtle wax is good too.
 
correct me if im wrong, however dont they use vinegar to remove silicone?

indeed so, but it makes a darn fine glass cleaner too. vinegar and newsprint, still one of the best glass cleaners. just take care where there is silicone. it doesn't dissolve it or the like, it simply softens it, and then only a thin layer is affected.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top