Cleaning second hand tank

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Jadzir

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Have just picked up a little second hand 5 gallon tank.
Came with the light , heater and sponge filter.
Will get a new sponge for the filter.
What is the best way to clean everything ?
Should I replace the tubing on the sponge filter ?
Thanks as always for the help.

Tubing is cheap, replace it...actually, sponge filters themselves are cheap...

Clean everything with plain white vinegar, and hot water.

Not bleach? Will the vinegar kill off any nasties?
vinegar will kill most things if it is left in contact for long enough. Try to leave vinegar on the glass and silicon for 15 minutes or longer.

The silicon glue will be fine with acids like vinegar but bleach damages silicon if it is in contact for a while.

For cleaning, and to remove hard water deposits, I use CLR and a razor blade.
Used CLR for years (on many things, not just tanks) until I found out plain white vinegar does just about the same thing, for much less $

White vinegar is nowadays our most used cleaner in my house...safe for the environment, no trashing of cleaner bottles to add to plastic pollution, and cheap enough for everyone...and, it can be used for a lot of other things besides cleaning, as well

Used CLR for years (on many things, not just tanks) until I found out plain white vinegar does just about the same thing, for much less $

White vinegar is nowadays our most used cleaner in my house...safe for the environment, no trashing of cleaner bottles to add to plastic pollution, and cheap enough for everyone...and, it can be used for a lot of other things besides cleaning, as well

I bought a bottle to soak something that had been peed on by the dog. It took the smell away completely. Wonderful stuff.

why isn't your dog house trained?
Even house-trained dogs have accidents...our dogs have been stuck inside the house this whole week, it's rained every day, and the yard is too muddy for them to play in it...we have to put pee-pads down for them...fun times

I send mine out regardless of the weather then clean the carpets regularly. I've even walked them in truly horizontal rain in the winter (this is a very inhospitable stretch of coast). But I've no idea how I needed to wash something, unless it was when they were puppies?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back