Cleaning Glass Inside The Tank

Duzzy

Fish Crazy
Joined
Feb 1, 2008
Messages
281
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Hi there,

I am beginning to gen a green film growing on the glass, I was wondering 2 things, why is it happening and what is the best and safest method to clean it.

Regards Darren
 
Algea grows b/c of excess nutrients. Almost all tanks have it. You can get a long handled scrubber made for your style tank (don't know if you have acrylic or glass, but one suitable for whatever you have, it should say it).

Or you can get the magnetic ones such as mag float where one parts inside the tank and the other is on the outside. Do a google for mag float.
 
What are your tank stats?

Although some people might think of this as pretty "ghetto", I've always used an old credit card to scrape off the algae/film on the sides of the tank. It doesn't scratch the glass and works like a charm.
 
Depending on your nitrates in your tap water, you can do weekly water changes and see if that helps to bring it down.

I mean any excess nutrients down.
 
Tank stats are

I use 100 rain water (tap water sucks here)
ph 7.2
temp 28
I dont know what other stants you want
 
If the problem is warrenting costs ... you can buy a UV filter that will kill this ... and who knows what else

Tank stats are

I use 100 rain water (tap water sucks here)
ph 7.2
temp 28
I dont know what other stants you want

rain water? really? thats an interesting thought
 
We are in the middle of a massive drought and they are using some dam water and mostly bore water + massive amounts of chemicals that do god knows what....

the irony is the fish get pure fresh rain water and we use the filth that comes out of the tap lol
 
No No it sounds good ... I would like to see the stats of rain water first.

My only down fall is it would be challenging to collect enough water here to do water changes.
 
Tim,

what stats do you need I will get them if i have all the kits, as for water changes I only gave a 130liter/31g tank so I usually do 40 liters/ fortnight I have 2 20liter bottle that cover me, the old water goes on my vegetable garden

Regards Darren
 
Ammonia?
Nitrite?
Nitrate? (in this case)

I have never even thought of using rain water.
But you have enough rain to cover 40 litres a fort night?

What kinda of fish do you have? and how many in what size tank?
7.2 Ph is low which is fine as long as it wasn't a sudden change most probably your fish have adapted to this but I would look at raising it possibly.
 
what is 7.2 low for? If he has basic community fish, that should be fine...or did I miss something in the conversation :huh:
 
Tim, my parents have a 10000 liter tank, it is winter so it's full and even in summer never drops below 3/4

Tank/rain water stats are

our rain water here is soft (i think all rain water is
ph 7.2
amonia 0
nitrate 0
nitrite 0

I keep angels and rummy nose tetras
 
What are your tank stats?

Although some people might think of this as pretty "ghetto", I've always used an old credit card to scrape off the algae/film on the sides of the tank. It doesn't scratch the glass and works like a charm.

You are so GHETTO, i do the same too :D
 
The credit card didnt get it clean enough there was still algae after a fairly good going over...
 
Tim, my parents have a 10000 liter tank, it is winter so it's full and even in summer never drops below 3/4

Tank/rain water stats are

our rain water here is soft (i think all rain water is
ph 7.2
amonia 0
nitrate 0
nitrite 0

I keep angels and rummy nose tetras

Those are interesting stats ... you have algae but your nitrate is 0 humm!
 

Most reactions

Back
Top