Cleaning Ceramic Diffuser's

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Hydrogen peroxide is a toxin, so I wouldn't suggest doing that method unless in quite dire straights... Like if the fish were ill.

I also use pond dechlorinator... It lasts yonks!!!

Before I removed all the CO2 kit (last night...) I removed the disk, popped it in a small tupperware tub with a splodge of bleach and some water, gave it shake and left it while I did the water change. Then I'd give it another shake, empty the contents, and then fill with water and shake it a few times until it stopped producing foam and smell. All done.

All my larger tanks use External methods, mostly Venturis, they do the same thing as a disc, but require no maintance once set up. But they are more suited for larger tanks.

If you use a disc, place it somewhere the light does not hit it. Deeper is better, and in the flow/current.

That's not always an option and very often, out of sight, out of mind, so you forget and then CO2 goes to south..and then algae, then.....

A clogged diffuser adding CO2 vs a well cleaned one is the night day difference folks often see in tanks.
I can certain say even though the rate of gas being add is the same, you can see a dramatic difference in growth and pearling after cleaning them.

Excel will work also BTW.

A smaller powerhead can be hidden also and do the same as a disc also.

Regards,
Tom Barr

I have Rhinox 2000. I clean it every week to ensure max efficiency of bubble production. Clean diffuser = smaller bubbles.

I pour neat bleach into mine, just a few mls. to cover the disc.

Wait 5 mins.

Empty.

Pour another few mls of bleach.

Wait 5 mins.

Empty.

Rinse under running water.

Pour a tiny bit of de-chlorinator on disc.

Rinse.

Done.

Whole process takes just over 10 mins.

Might be a thick question, but thick bleach or normal bleach? Would it make any differance?

I use a normal bleach but I find it seeps through the disc after a little while which means I have to keep submersing the diffuser in water after to get it out. It's a real pain! Interested to see what bleach others use as it's getting very annoying and time consuming to clean now.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back