Cleaning And Adding Sand - Advice Needed

JSmails

Fish Fanatic
Joined
Jul 31, 2006
Messages
185
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Hi Ive not used sand before but am doing so in my new setup. Simple question, whats the easiest way to clean the sand and then add it?

Of course if I wash it in a bucket it wont then pour out.
 
Hi JSmails :)

I like to do it, a little at a time, in a dish pan. It's not the fastest method but the sand will be really clean. This saves you the bother of having to clean the filter out later and avoids the risk of damaging an impeller, if you have a HOB one.
 
Clean the sand as above and put some filter floss in your filter, change it every couple of days and your water will clear quickly..
 
I clean any new sand or gravel in a bucket with flowing water to rinse away the dirt and super-fine particles. The end result is a material that does not cloud my water much. I use mostly sponges and canisters so grinding up a HOB is not a real issue for me.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top