Clean Up Crew

sic0198

Fish Herder
Joined
Aug 17, 2006
Messages
1,062
Reaction score
0
Points
0
I have a 29 gallon with an angelfish, fem. betta and 5 coeies, I need a clean up crew. I want some snails. What kind can I get so it can't have babies? Can I get otto's and shrimo? What else can I get?
 
Hi, 2 questions for you, what is your substrate and what do you mean by clean-up crew....algae or muck?
 
Black Gravel, I want something to help cleanup algae and uneaten food.
 
Nerite snails are lovely, do a fabulous job and can't reproduce in fresh water.
They do, however, leave tiny, infertile eggs glued to various surfaces in the aquarium.
Personally, I find this worthwhile, but I don't know if you would.

Edit: The Typo Queen reigns supreme...
Edit - make that the BLIND Typo Queen.
 
Hmmm, that sounds like it's worth looking into. I assume other fish will eat their eggs.
 
Actually, it seems that a Bristlenose will eat the Nerite eggs, but they seem to be too hard for most fish.
Of course, I have little ones, bettas, tetras, WCM, pygmy cats, those sort of sizes, and it may be different for larger fish.
I have Zebra Nerites, which are commonly kept in fresh water, although they only propagate in salt.
It depends on whether the tiny eggs on various surfaces will bother you more than the hard spot algae and other kinds the Nerite will clear up.
I think they balance out on the desirable side, but others may not.
Hope that helps - and Merry Christmas, by the way.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top