Clarkii Clownfish Aggression

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Luketendo

BLENNY :O
Reaction score
Over the last couple of days I've noticed my Bangaii Cardinalfish has not been at the front of the tank as much as usual. He/She is timid anyway and a juvenile.

Anyway, today I've seen that the Cardinalfish is hiding in the bottom corner of the tank and has been nipped on the tail fin. He's just recovered from fin rot which I believe the fish has had since purchase as his or her fins have flourished. I also witnessed today my slightly larger Clarkii Clownfish which is small, tan in colour and still a juvenile charge at the Cardinalfish and I guess nip its fin.

The strange thing is that neither of my Clarkii Clownfish seem to have permanent territory and they don't really go roudn with each other much although sometimes the female shows the male whose boss but this doesn't involve physical damage.

Other behavior I've noticed is that the female sometimes sits on a covered ledge I think mainly at night really and that it also has an area of the tank where it digs a bit too, I've just seen it rub against the large shell near this area a couple of times which has sand on from digging. Also both clownfish have black patches on the body and tail which I suppose is them maturing but it doesn't seem to be happening quickly or anything, both clownfish also accept my cleaner shrimp to clean them and do not show aggression to any invertebrates or my Bicolour Blenny.

So...
1. Does anyone have a clue what is going on?
2. Does anyone know what I should do?

Thank You.

UPDATE: from when I wrote this I have had to isolate the Bangaii Cardinalfish, however I reckon I could isolate the female clown maybe this would reduce territorial aggression?

hi

can you give me some detailes of the tank
1 how many liters
2 how much rock is in the tank
3 how long have all the fish been in there
4 is it a reef tank
5 how long has the tank been running for

regards scott

hi

can you give me some detailes of the tank
1 how many liters
2 how much rock is in the tank
3 how long have all the fish been in there
4 is it a reef tank
5 how long has the tank been running for

regards scott

1 - 180L
2 - 27kg
3 - Clownfishes - 2 months, Bangaii Cardinalfish - 1 1/2 months, Blenny - More than 1 month
4 - No corals yet
5 - Since end of April so almost 4 months

the only thing i can think of is if you get a net a bucket and a hose fill the bucket high enough to put the clowns in just the clowns and rearrange the rock work have plenty of holes,dens,space thats should take you about 30-60 min to do that so that would be long enough to add the clowns back into the system so it is like a hole new enviroment that should work a treat

regards scott

Most reactions

Back