Clamped male guppy with “growth” or “tumour” on underside.

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

ClownLurch

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
Four guppy males in tank the rest seem ok. They’ve been in tank a week now and all’s been well until a few days ago when I noticed him occasionally clamping. He’s spent more time on his own than with other three from the very start which made him Mrs Lurch’s favourite. One of the others seemed to be hounding him badly a couple of days ago with butting/nipping he would swim away but not hide.
Then early last night I noticed a growth on his underside so dug around a few threads on here. Later on last night it was gone but he was still occasionally clamping so I put it down to a problematic poo.

I was gonna water change this morning anyway because the water company are turning ours off some time today to tackle an ongoing leak just inside our property. The growth wasn’t there this morning but he was permanently clamped. He doesn’t look well so I changed just over 90L of a 120L tank putting in a tablespoon of sea salt per 20L.
The growth is there again and he’s still clamped. Looks thin as well.
Any suggestions? Is it a problematic poo or worse? Medicine? Quarantine though my little tanks and filter aren’t cycled as the main tanks only been running three weeks or so of a silent cycle.
Massive plant growth and tested last night and this morning with these results.
Nitrite 0
Ammonia 0.25 (as it is from tap)
Nitrate 10 (as it is from tap)

340ppm and 8ph by the way.

I foolishly added some free rams horn snails and rili shrimp from the fish keeper on the corner who said there’s nothing been added or died in his tank for over a year. I fear I’ve screwed up there?
Anyway is there anything else I can do? Medicine?
Pics are upside down sorry. He’s not swimming upside down.
Tanks a bit cloudy from having to do super fast water change before water gets turned off. Bad timing.

Attachments

• E29C768E-9282-479A-BF2D-845DD5A1016A.jpeg
    E29C768E-9282-479A-BF2D-845DD5A1016A.jpeg
    54.4 KB · Views: 151
  • 27565C4C-94BD-48EA-BFB6-DBCC3A38C5B3.jpeg
    27565C4C-94BD-48EA-BFB6-DBCC3A38C5B3.jpeg
    41.3 KB · Views: 99
  • 790E837C-ECAD-43D3-A30A-396A1C6FAAB0.jpeg
    790E837C-ECAD-43D3-A30A-396A1C6FAAB0.jpeg
    42.6 KB · Views: 93
Where did the guppies come from? If a fish shop, I've just discovered through having my own guppies get ill - that most store guppies are farm raised abroad, and are nearly all exposed to various worms, which they can carry for months sometimes before the worm burden gets to be too much and they begin showing signs.

I can't see what it is terribly clearly from the photos, and I'm also far from an expert, but could you maybe compare what you see to photos of nematodes or internal parasites? The fact it disappears and re-appears makes me suspect an internal parasite. The other possibility is a prolapse.

eSHa products are highly recommended in the UK, especially if you end up suspecting it's roundworms of some type, since most standard worming meds won't touch certain worms, but levamisole, the ingredient in eSHa-ndx, does. I'm using them right now too, but being able to figure out what it is to narrow down treatment would obviously be for the best, especially since while those eSHa products are said to be shrimp safe, the same can't be said for the snails. And if it is a prolapse or some other kind of unjury, then they wouldn't help of course.

Thanks.
Bought from a LFS a week ago. They all seemed healthy at first but he started a little clamping after 3 days or so but nothing permanent. Since Ive just got them I’m not Yet used to their swimming styles or general demeanour. He hung around on his own more which is why he became our favourite almost immediately.

The “thing” isn’t worm shaped it’s more like a couple of eggs stuck underneath. Anyone?

Temp increase perhaps?

He’s looking. Bit red faced and just hovering now. The others are sort of watching him instead of going about their own business. Little bit of fin clamping from them occasionally now. He seems to be working hard just to stay still.
Im reluctant to just throw a general all most points covered medicine in but may have to as i feel so helpless here.
Waters off in the house now as digging crew have turned up.

Had a good read around internet and a prolapse is What my uneducated self is thinking.

I'm sorry you're going through this :(
I wouldn't normally chime in on illness issues, being so far from an expert on illnesses myself, but having gone through it before/going through it with my own guppies, I know how hopeless it can feel when you don't know what's wrong, but know that something definitely is wrong. Since Colin hasn't been around and a lot of others seem to nervous to give advice on illnesses without him, I at least wanted to give you some avenues to look into.

I didn't like the thought of just medicating as a matter of course either, but having since learned how often guppies are carrying worms and things from fish farms, and now battling my second bout with worms even though I've quarantined without meds, think I'll be using meds for livebearers in quarantine from now on. Treating all of the main display tanks to make sure they're clear is so much more than medicating my quarantine tank.

I hope you do find out what it is, and can save the fishes.

Thanks. It’s no fun just watching.
Fellers digging up our drive now and we’ve no water atm. I can’t pop out to get any medicines until they’re done.
Frustrating as there’s a pets at home three mins walk away and they’re bound to have something.

Thanks. It’s no fun just watching.
Fellers digging up our drive now and we’ve no water atm. I can’t pop out to get any medicines until they’re done.
Frustrating as there’s a pets at home three mins walk away and they’re bound to have something.
These things always happen at the most difficult time. Like my heater breaking at 3am in the winter....
Hope you can get some advice and something to help them soon.

The lump thing hanging underneath him has gone. Pics in first post are upside down. You can see the size it was. I don’t know if it’s fallen off or gone back inside him?
His rear fin (sorry) is spread again where this morning it was clamped. Top fin (sorry again) still clamped. He’s looking a bit healthier than 8 hrs ago but you’d still tell the LFS person you didn’t want any fish from his tank.
His brother and his two tank mates are intermittently clamped as well.
Im popping out now to get sea salt for another 75% water change at 6AM tomorrow. Which will take a while becos our water pressures right down. It’s trickling from the taps.
Hang on in little Johnny.

@Colin_T been following your advice from an old guppy with growth thread (didn’t end well). Should I up the sea salt to two tablespoons per 20L as it’s livebearers or am I wasting my time? He’s definitely looking better than this morning which gives me hope.

The lump thing hanging underneath him has gone. Pics in first post are upside down. You can see the size it was. I don’t know if it’s fallen off or gone back inside him?
His rear fin (sorry) is spread again where this morning it was clamped. Top fin (sorry again) still clamped. He’s looking a bit healthier than 8 hrs ago but you’d still tell the LFS person you didn’t want any fish from his tank.
His brother and his two tank mates are intermittently clamped as well.
Im popping out now to get sea salt for another 75% water change at 6AM tomorrow. Which will take a while becos our water pressures right down. It’s trickling from the taps.
Hang on in little Johnny.

@Colin_T been following your advice from an old guppy with growth thread (didn’t end well). Should I up the sea salt to two tablespoons per 20L as it’s livebearers or am I wasting my time? He’s definitely looking better than this morning which gives me hope.
Colin hasnt been online for a few days :) hopefully he will be able to help soon though

Another 75% water + salt change this morning. Took ages due to poor water pressure from taps.....and it’s as hot as gets in the U.K. atm.
Jonnys looking better than he did at his worst but the growth/hernia thing keeps coming and going. Dorsal fin still clamped but tail fin not as much as before. He’s getting around the tank a bit more now.
His three mates have clamped dorsal every now and then. His brother most often. I’m wondering if they both brought it with them.
What will be will be. Another 75% + salt change, gravel vac and tank scrape tomorrow. My techniques are improving anyway.

@Colin_T would a temp increase from 20 help? Though ambient pushing it to 24-26 today. I’m doing 1xlevel tablespoon of salt per 20L....would 2x per 20L help? I read your advice on an old thread with a similar guppy problem. Medicine?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back