Cichlid or Pirahna Tank?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

HooDude

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I ran into some good buys up here in Canada, and was considering setting up a new tank.

I am able to buy a Fluval 304 canister filter for 99$ AND a 15% staff discount from my LFS. From another FS I can get some reasonably priced tanks, a 33 All Glass tank for 62$ and a 45 for 105$. No discount on these though.

The 45 gallon is 48" long, and I have a 48" long flourescent canopy light.
The 33 gallon is 36" long and I have a really nice, really expensive 36" canopy light.

Now I was wanting to know, say I want to put in some Ahli or Sevrum cichlids into one of these, but still use the Fluval 304 as the filter, would I have too much current? The fluval pumps out 260 gph, which is great for messy eaters in that size of tank, but I am concerned about the level of current given the size of tank.

Given what I have heard about Cichlids beign messy eaters and quite messy, how many should I put into the 33 or the 45 if they are about 1 1/2" - 2" already?

I was also considering putting pirahnas in the tank instead of cichlids. If you don't like pirahnas, I don't care, but could someone tell me if they can handle strong current and how they might do in a 33 or a 45?

Thanks so much,

HooDude

HooDude,

Pirahna are great fish! I have had them in the past and they are very interesting. However....the two tanks you are considering IMO would be too small.

Pirahna are schooling fish and need to be kept in small schoals of at least 5 fish to be at their best.

The two tanks you mention....what are their width?? The 33 being 3ft is probably 12" or so and would be way to small for even two severum.

You could maybe get by with a trio of ahli, but I would not recommend it as these fish need swimming room.

The 45, if it is 18" wide would be a great tank for severums or ahli.

The filter you are considering would not be to strong in either of these tanks. In fact to keep severums in the 45 IMO you would be at the minimum of filtration being roughly 6 times an hour turnover.

HTH.

CM

for piranah I would not go with anything smaller than a 90 gallon and that is minimum, a 150 or 220 would be better as those little very toothy guys get pretty darn big. depending on the tpy of piranah you have. they all get big, blacks get over 12"

make it a mbuna tank or a tang tank. I think these tanks look so sweet. You can get such great color and there is always activity. With a good canister filter you could overstock the tank easily. This is the way to go if you want cichlids IMO, it will be my next tank. :)

Just my $.02

I agree with Tanked.minimum of a 90 gallon. I do know people who keep a group of 5-6 red bellies in a 55, but hey are seasoned veterens with pirahna and I would not recommend this.

A 125 would be ideal for a large group of RB say 8-10. This wouls reward you with fantastic colors from the RB and a group of fish that would hang together quite nicely.

They would also be way more outgoing being in that large a group.

CM

Is there anything to worry about, maintenance wise with pirahnas? When i'm siphoning gravel will they leave me alone? I imagine the small ones would, but I don't know, i've never kept pirahnas!

Thanks,
HooDUde

When I kept them I never had a problem with them attacking me. You must keep them well fed however.

Another point.....when doing water changes make sure to keep a watchful eye on them....after all they are still pirahna!!!!!!!

CM

In the long term, cichlids are going to be more interesting than piranha. After all, they have more developed parental care ;) .

For a smaller tank why not try some of the colourful cichlids of Lake Tanganjika?

IME people who have kept pirahna have been very disapointed with them,unless kept in a large shoal they become very shy and hide at the back of the tank,they are also very skitish and any loud noise or sudden movement causes them to bang themselves into the sides and lid of the tank often injuring themselves,and im sure you know what happens to a injured pirahna in a tank full of uninjured pirahna,dinner time.
Go with the african cichlids (omg did i just say that,quick someone call a doctor) for the size tank and variety available they will be your bet choice,you will need to upgrade the filtration though.

its ok cfc no one saw you say it breath in and relax... i think you must have ment african catfish

HooDude,

Put whatever YOU want to in the tank!!! After all you are the one who will be watching it!!

As I stated in my first reply....either of the two size tanks you listed would be to small to house all but one pirahna.

I also agree that they are less outgoing when kept as a lone specimen.

I disagree that they are less interesting with their breeding rituals!! Pirahna make great parents and pretty much have the same courtship manners as cichlids!!

This I have seen personally!!

The bottom line is it's your choice, but please whatever you choose, choose according to tank size and filtration capacities!!

I enjoyed answering your questions on pirahna....been awhile since I kept them, but enjoyed them when I did.

CM

Agree with Cm - your tank= your fish - however you may want to think about investing in a pair of chain mail gloves! :lol:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back