Cherry Shrimp Tank...

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

PRW1988

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
Well I'm getting my 5 gallon aquarium back from my gf, she's decided her 55's enough for her (not for me XD). So I'm thinking about doing a Cherry Shrimp tank. Is 5 gallons too small for them? Also, is there any species of fish I could put in with them. Even a betta fish, though I'd rather not lol.

Tank specs: (as planned)

5 gallon hex

about 14-16" tall, 12" wide.

Sand: Black

Plants: Java Fern, Java Moss. <-- Any other suggestions please.

Stock: I figured 12 Cherry Shrimp and like 1 or 2 Oto cats and a betta<--- Mabye if it won't eat the shrimp.

If anybody has any suggestions please let me know :)

Female bettas would be ok in that, you could put one female in there, she would get on with the shrimp.

Or what about an african dwarf frog?

Sounds fine to me but ottos need to be in groups of 3+. Male or female betta will be fine. I personally would keep a pair of small wild bettas in there i think there alot nicer. Or go for 6 endlers or galaxy rasbora instead of the betta.

Perfect. After doing some research I've decided to actually go with Ghost Shrimp as they're cheaper. I will try the Cherry Shrimp, but only once I know I'm not going to end up killing them. Also, I'm putting in the Female Betta as I have one that has only a 1 gallon bowl. But now she shares the 5 gallon :)
Would a snail be better for the algea than 3 otto cats?

Snail would fit the tank better than otos. I found with an apple snail though, that it did nothing but poo-I was so sick of clearing up after it, I got rid of it for free on here! I had light sand, maybe with black it wouldn't look so bad, but it would still be there.

well that is unfortunate about the snail. Mabye I'll stick away from them... Or a mystery snail... I've always loved the gold ones.

Anyways, I picked up the sand today and the shrimp. They're in a criter keeper in my main tank so they won't escape on me. Setting up the tank tomorrow and will seed it from the main tank. So I hope all works well for me :)

FTR I think keeping Cherries with Bettas is a bad idea. I kept a male betta alone in a 60l with 9 cherries and he terrorized the lot (they stayed in hiding), and after I removed him came out. I also think he succeeded in eating 3 (or at least preventing them from feeding and dying of starvation).

FTR I think keeping Cherries with Bettas is a bad idea. I kept a male betta alone in a 60l with 9 cherries and he terrorized the lot (they stayed in hiding), and after I removed him came out. I also think he succeeded in eating 3 (or at least preventing them from feeding and dying of starvation).

each betta is different, some are fine

I've got about 20 cherry shrimp in with a male betta and he doesn't bother them at all.

also, for a 5 gallon...you really don't have to waste valuable stocking space to accommodate an algae eater...with enough live plants in there and a two second rub down with paper towel, the algae will be under control!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back