Check valves— should I be concerned?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Shovad

Reaction score
I have a 15 gallon Aqueon column tank and have the air pump installed underneath the tank in the stand. The pump is a Tetra 10-30 air pump that is connected to a bubbler ornament. My questions are

- where should the air control valve be placed in relation to the check valve- should it be placed before or after the check valve

- also should I be concerned with the check valve failing and causing siphoning of the water? How common is it for the check valve to fail? The check valve I used is the one that came with the air pump , it’s a Tetra brand.
In the event of a check valve failure will the air pump prevent the water from further siphoning or will it leak past the air pump to the floor?

-Do you recommend adding another check valve to be safe? Will looping the airline tubing prevent siphoning?

Last edited:
Plug the hose into the check valve, then from the check valve to the device which will probably hang on the back edge of the tank, then from the valve to your bubbler.

Plug the hose into the check valve, then from the check valve to the device which will probably hang on the back edge of the tank, then from the valve to your bubbler.
Yes currently the set up is :

air pump—-> air control valve—-> check valve——> bubbler ornament.

My concern is that in the event of check valve failure the water will siphon out of my tank since the air pump is located under my tank in the cabinet. How likely are check valve failures? And should I just add another check valve just to be safe?

For the water to siphon out you need both the pump and check valve to fail at the same time.

We have been turning off the air pump at night since the bubblers are a bit noisy, that’s why I was concerned. Might just keep them on 24/7 to be safe.

Last edited:
Yeah I will leave it on all the time- I adjusted the airflow with the air control valve and now it’s not bad .... I also might just add another check valve for peace of mind .

It doesn't matter if the control valve is before or after the check valve. Typically check valve failures with air pumps is not a problem since the pump is typically left on. also the air line typically up and over the top of the aquarium before reaching the top of the water. For water to go up and over the top of the tank cannot happen as long as there is ar in the hose.

However that said in CO2 system check valve failure are much more common. The primary reasons for this is that CO2 is typically off at night. And also because CO2 bonds with water. So when CO2 is off water will literally remove most of the gas in the CO2 lines creating a vacuum. This pulls the water into the CO2 line and up and over the top of the aquarium. Then gravity pulls the water Down to your CO2 equipment.

I saw this when I first started using CO2. When water gets to your check valve it can cause metal parts to corrode. Also nutrients in the may cause algae and bacteria to grow on the internal surfaces of the check valve. Corrosion and biofilm can eventually cause the check valve to fail. To solve this I used two 100% plastic diaphragm check valves. One was placed close to the CO2 equipment to prevent water from getting into the regulator. The check check valve was place Closer to the tank. And I set this one up such that when a vacuum started to develop in the CO2 lines it would allow air in. This second check valve keeps the water in the tank and keeps the check valves dry.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back