Changing Substrate

Sharpy14

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hey guys, well my tank is still cycling but in a few months or so i might change the layout and gravel of it, black gravel: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Aquarium-Fish-Tank-Gravel-Sand-Multiple-Sizes-Black-/310273323207?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Fish&var=&hash=item8e079f9d04#ht_2885wt_754
And some bogwood. But because i have an undergravel filter will most my bacteria be in the gravel.
And replacing it will mean netting my neons and taking out all the old gravel and replacing it. Is that alright, or is it best to leave the tank with the filtered gravel for a certain time?
Cheers chris

Hey guys, well my tank is still cycling but in a few months or so i might change the layout and gravel of it, black gravel: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Aquarium-Fish-Tank-Gravel-Sand-Multiple-Sizes-Black-/310273323207?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Fish&var=&hash=item8e079f9d04#ht_2885wt_754
And some bogwood. But because i have an undergravel filter will most my bacteria be in the gravel.
And replacing it will mean netting my neons and taking out all the old gravel and replacing it. Is that alright, or is it best to leave the tank with the filtered gravel for a certain time?
Cheers chris

I changed my whole tank during cycling from gravel to coral sand changing the decoration from wood to ocean rock. That set my cycling back by a week or so but soon got back on track after that. The bacteria colony will be living in your filter media the largest amount of it in the noods or ceramics etc. I'd suspect some must live in the gravel if when I changed mine my cycling went back.

With you doing the fish in cycling then you just need to watch the readings when you have done it and change the water if and when required

Do you have an internal, External or HOB filter or are you completely reliant on the UGF for filtration. If you only have the UGF then your gravel is effectively your filter media and removing it all and replacing it all with new gravel will basically put you back to square 1 with an uncycled tank.

Also don't put cory's or any other digging/sand sifting fish on this substrate as from the picture it looks quite sharp.

Do you have an internal, External or HOB filter or are you completely reliant on the UGF for filtration. If you only have the UGF then your gravel is effectively your filter media and removing it all and replacing it all with new gravel will basically put you back to square 1 with an uncycled tank.

Also don't put cory's or any other digging/sand sifting fish on this substrate as from the picture it looks quite sharp.
+1

Ermm i'm not sure. Its an Aquastart 500 with undergravel filter.
Maybe i might have to wait until the future or is now the best time?

UGF are ancient technology, you can pick cheap small filters up for pennies now. im sure some keepers heere have experience of cheap filters. at the end of the day not much can go wrong in a filter. its just a pump and some sponge. how big is your tank ? got a picture of the filter set-up ?

UGF are ancient technology, you can pick cheap small filters up for pennies now. im sure some keepers heere have experience of cheap filters. at the end of the day not much can go wrong in a filter. its just a pump and some sponge. how big is your tank ? got a picture of the filter set-up ?

+1 buy yourself a cheap filter and run it for 4-6 weeks before changing gravel over.

Do you think its worth me just jibbing off the undergrvel filter and buying a good external one, because then I can have a black sand substrate instead of a gravel, any decent external filters under £20?

Do you think its worth me just jibbing off the undergrvel filter and buying a good external one, because then I can have a black sand substrate instead of a gravel, any decent external filters under £20?

I find Arkpets to be really good with really quick delivery (next day if ordered early) and prices are canny. Not sure if u will get a new canister for 20 unless u try second hand off eBay? I'm saving for bits like that the new fluval G range look awesome but seem extremely expensive!
Arkpets

(can u post links to shopping sites? I hope I ain't breaking any rules etc by doing so) ain't looked at other shops see something u like google it may b cheaper elsewhere.

Your tank's not really big enough to benefit from an external. Something like a fluval 4+ or whatever the equivalent is at the moment would be ideal. You're open to way more options than just gravel with anything other than an undergravel filter, and you have much more control of the way you filter the water too, you can use sponges, carbon, filter floss. Whatever you need to make the filter do it's job. An external is better and gives you even more options, but you won't get one for £20 and like I say your tank's not big enough to need one imo.

How about this?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SUPERFISH-AQUA-FLOW-AQUARIUM-FISH-TANK-FILTER-UPTO-100L_W0QQitemZ300452527003QQcmdZViewItem?rvr_id=197722562528&rvr_id=197722562528&cguid=dae657d812c0a0aad59590d5ff9f9449
Or shall i just stick with the undergravel....

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back