Changing From Gravel To Sand

arobinson1984

Fish Gatherer
Joined
Mar 13, 2009
Messages
2,065
Reaction score
0
Points
36
Location
Leeds, United Kingdom
I'm planning on changing my 33 gal tank from gravel to sand on saturday.

I just wondered how long people thought my fish would be ok in a 20L bucket of tank water?

I have a small 100w heater I could use and then I'd cover it but it would have no filtration as I think my eheim may be a little overkill for a bucket :P

Obviously I'm hoping to have it all changed within about 2 hours, reckon they'd be ok?

Andy
 
Would it be safe to have a 100w heater in a 20 L (5 gallonish bucket of water)?
 
Yeh, should be fine. Make sure you pop a thermometer in there aswell, keep an eye on the temp.
And also an airstone, keep the water moving! :D
 
Thanks guys, I have an eheim air pump so I'll stick that in there and I'll make sure the 100w heater isnt turned up above abouy 23 degrees to ensure water doesnt get too warm, it would be prob be ok anyway as room temperature is around the right temp at the moment.

Andy
 
I changed from gravel to sand yesterday, i went to my LFS to ask the question and they suggested polystyrene boxes - the ones they have fish delivered in, as this will hold the tempreature of the water a lot better and there'll be no need to keep your heater running, i had to pay for my boxes - 50p each - they hold around 25 litres of water. My fish were fine in the boxes for just over an hour, and have been in the tank for just over 36 hours now and i've noticed NO change in their behaviour.

Hope this helps,

Mark.
 
Cool thanks, I'm going to my lfs tomorrow for some wood and plants so I'll ask them, they are a very good store so no doubt they will have them in stock. I'll let everyone know how it goes and put some pics up when its done.

Andy
 
I switched my gravle to sand in the summer time I used an empty 20gal tank No heater or anything just water. to keep my fish in while I switched it over. It took me 2 hours to do the switch. All my fish were fine but stressed out a little.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top