Changing floor material?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

CKP82

Reaction score
Hi,
I have gravel and I have corys. I now realise this ain't the best combination and would like to take out the gravel and replace with sand. How would be the best way of doing this?
Thanks.

I am doing this as we speak with Quikrete Play Sand.

Fairly straight forward to do but since you have substrate fish you might want to re home them until you finish the change.

As for changing the gravel you should drain some of the water out then scoop out the gravel. Then refill with sand.

Make sure you rinse the sand thoroughly in water until it becomes clear. (Just a tip once you think it is clear enough re rinse and do it again and again lol)

Thanks for the advice.
Originally I used sand as the base but the person at the aquatic shop said it didn't washing. A week later I still couldn't see inside the tank! I then switched to gravel but now I want to switch back 😆

Thanks for the advice.
Originally I used sand as the base but the person at the aquatic shop said it didn't washing. A week later I still couldn't see inside the tank! I then switched to gravel but now I want to switch back 😆
Unfortunately you learned the hard way that you can't trust fish store employees.
Sand should definitely be washed before putting it in a tank. Here's how you do it. Get a five gallon bucket. Fill it about 1/3 full with sand. Fill the bucket with water then reach in and stir the sand around. Then dump out the dusty water. (Don't dump it in a drain. Dump it outside in the yard). Pour some more water in and repeat this process until the water is relatively clear when you stir the sand up.

Having this this many, many times over the years,,,remove all the fish from the tank and keep them in a temporary aquarium. Believe me, you do not want to be rushed, and having the fish comfortably in a temporary tank is well advised. It also avoids killing them should you encounter any anaerobic areas, which depending upon the length of time the tank has been running might be a real issue.

Drain all the water and take out all the plants/decor, then scoop out all of the gravel. I always used a soft sponge to mop up water and detritus. I like starting with a clean tank.

Sand especially play sand (which for cories is excellent) can be quite dirty, but I never fussed over this. Four or five rinses in a bucket of say 3 or 4 cups of sand at a time was it. The "dirt" will settle out, and is natural and not going to harm fish or plants. Arrange the hardscape, and plant any substrate-rooted plants. Half fill the tank with water to do this, it avoids damaging plants. Then drain it right down to the sand, and fill with fresh tap water using a bowl to avoid disturbing the sand more than necessary. Replace the filter and heater, use conditioner obviously, then if the temp matches net the fish back in. Fast growing plants especially growing floating plants will avoid any "cycling" issues.

Thanks for the advice, I'll sort an aquarium for doing this. There are alot of tanks available on marketplace.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back