Chai's Finrot.

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

could anyone be nipping him? seems strange he was onthe mend then this happens :/

I don't think so. The endlers don't go anywhere near him and he always chases the platy off.
It's got even worse today! I'm going to pick up some more myxazin tomorrow, but I'm not sure what to do in the meantime? :crazy:

I would, but since it's a biOrb I can't put in a divider or a breeding trap. :(

I'm considering putting in Chai in the new tank I get and treating him in there? Then I can just move Tam in at a later date. If I added mature media would I be able to add him straight away?
This is of course on the chance that my mum actually does decide to get me a tank like she said she would. If not, I'm a little out of options. :shout:

Good news! Mum has remembered that she agreed to another tank :)lol:) and when we pick up the myxazin tomorrow, we'll take a look at tanks there too. I remember a nice one which was about 20L, so I think that should do? :good:

i know that it is now 3 pages since the start of this thread but when you trested the p/h did you do a high range as well - the api ph test will show up anything higher than 7.6 as 7.6 so it may be worthwhile to do so :)

Yep, tried both. pH is at around 8, which is pretty high?
That said, I've no interest in messing with pH. Tam is doing brilliantly in it, and both tanks have the same level, so I have no idea what's happening to him! :crazy:

ok then...

the ph in my tank is around 7.4 and thats high for the neons i think but they dont seem too bothered about it either really

ok then...

the ph in my tank is around 7.4 and thats high for the neons i think but they dont seem too bothered about it either really

I've heard that where there's been so much interbreeding, fish still mind about their pH, but can tolerate a bigger range (or something along those lines).
Anyway, a pH swing could crash the whole tank. Really don't want to kill everything off!

How many rounds of meds has this little guy had. too many is just as bad as none at all. Id personally wait a week at least if hes already had 2 rounds. Just a suggestion. meds can knock the fish, stressing them out and lowering their immune system making them prone to all sorts of infection.
have you tried salt yet (being mindful of any sensitive tankmates like tetras or cories)? Might be a better idea (even to use dips) than medicating if hes had 2 rounds of meds or more.
best of luck in any case. got my fingers crossed for you and the little man.
cheers

How many rounds of meds has this little guy had. too many is just as bad as none at all. Id personally wait a week at least if hes already had 2 rounds. Just a suggestion. meds can knock the fish, stressing them out and lowering their immune system making them prone to all sorts of infection.
have you tried salt yet (being mindful of any sensitive tankmates like tetras or cories)? Might be a better idea (even to use dips) than medicating if hes had 2 rounds of meds or more.
best of luck in any case. got my fingers crossed for you and the little man.
cheers

I've done a couple of rounds, yes, but there was about a 10 day break between them. I've also dosed the tank with salt, but it doesn't seem to have helped. He's also not acting stressed. If anything, he's acting even more friendly. He's also still eating well and loving his food.

I'm definitely picking up the new tank and meds tomorrow. Didn't have time to today (forgot I had rehearsals), but it doesn't seem to be majorly worse. I'm just hoping it won't get too bad before I can find a cure :(
Thank you! :)

Well! Long time, no post! :lol:

I was just trying to get a picture of Chai's 0.5cm of new growth in both the cut and around his fins, but he wouldn't stay still, so all that came out was blurry shots! But, he's doing really well! I'm going to keep up with the myxazin and hopefully he'll be fully healed soon, but gosh knows when! He had a week off of treatment last week and it still grew slightly, so I'm thinking of doing one week on, one week off and so on, not only so he doesn't get overdosed, but also so I don't go through it so quickly! :lol:

if things are improving i would not recommend continueing meds. Only start redosing meds if you see backward progress. Meds are not only hard on the fish and their organs, but also asking for bacterial mutations-and that would be very bad in your instance (or anyone's instance) as you cannot easily get actual antibiotics where you are.
I would just stick to more protein in his diet (bloodworms one more meal a week for instance) and many waterchanges.
all the best. glad hes on the mend
cheers

Most reactions

Back