Chai's Finrot.

Chai isn't getting any better. He's still acting his usual self, but his fins haven't healed.
I've just got a pic (albeit a not very good one) of the large brown patches coming from his body to about 1/3 of the way down his fins. Is this part of the fin rot, or could it be something else?

k2iz9g.png

Due to the "even-ness" of the rusty coloration on both the caudal and anal fins it looks like natural butterfly pattern and just rusty coloration. His fins dont look all too bad to be honest. If youve already run 2 rounds of meds give him a break of about 7-10 days then run another course. If you notice rapid deterioration of the fins start another round right away. Over-medicating can be just as detrimental as not medicating at all. Sometimes its up to the fish to fight it off. The meds give a boost by killing or slowing the bacteria, but can also do a number on the fish. Just something to think about.
all the best
cheers

Due to the "even-ness" of the rusty coloration on both the caudal and anal fins it looks like natural butterfly pattern and just rusty coloration. His fins dont look all too bad to be honest. If youve already run 2 rounds of meds give him a break of about 7-10 days then run another course. If you notice rapid deterioration of the fins start another round right away. Over-medicating can be just as detrimental as not medicating at all. Sometimes its up to the fish to fight it off. The meds give a boost by killing or slowing the bacteria, but can also do a number on the fish. Just something to think about.
all the best
cheers

The rusty bits are also a bit more opaque than his normal reddish colouration. Could it just be that they're taking a long time to colour up? :blink:
I did give him a break of 2 days to run a couple of W/cs, so I'll do break of a week once I've finished this course of meds.
Thank you for the advice! :good:

could be just coloring up. to be honest ive not seen any illness that would discolor fins so evenly, especially in a pattern like that that is easily recognized as butterfly pattern. for that i wouldnt worry too much. Depending on age when you got him can just now be noticable. also his body could be a little faded from either illness or the meds making it more noticable (or different tank with different lights etc.)
cheers

That just looks like a natural change in colouring. They can change a lot. His fins don't look too bad. I did one course of treatment and the pin holes went on my betta and a small bit of fungus he had on his face disappeared so I knew it worked but his fins are taking a while to grow back. I see a little bit of clear growth but not much. I guess it's just a waiting game.

Thought I should update this!
He's finally got a bit of regrowth! :kana:
It's quite small, but hopefully as it gets bigger I'll be able to get some photos :good:

It's quite small, but hopefully as it gets bigger I'll be able to get some photos :good:
Brilliant. red's was quite slow growing back but now he's back to normal.

1 of my boys, Marmite has finrot.
Since moving to their new divided tank the tank just hasn't been right. they gravel was always dirty looking 1 day after a water change, loads of snails, just horrid. They are now in a different divided tank since lastnight with sand and seem much happier, also means that 2 more males will fit in this tank :lol: Marmite is in a 18L being treated separately for a week with Bumble next to him also in a 18L to keep him company as his fins arnt looking 100%

Brilliant. red's was quite slow growing back but now he's back to normal.

Glad to hear Chai isn't the only slow-recover..er? :lol:
I think it's finally getting him on a stable diet that's helped him start to heal :D

1 of my boys, Marmite has finrot.
Since moving to their new divided tank the tank just hasn't been right. they gravel was always dirty looking 1 day after a water change, loads of snails, just horrid. They are now in a different divided tank since lastnight with sand and seem much happier, also means that 2 more males will fit in this tank :lol: Marmite is in a 18L being treated separately for a week with Bumble next to him also in a 18L to keep him company as his fins arnt looking 100%

Awhh, hopefully both Marmite and Bumble will have a speedy recovery!
Strange about their tank, any ideas what caused it?

My partner blamed the gravel. it was second hand (bought with the tank) and we musnt have washed it correctly :huh:

Very strange :blink:
Are you going to replace it and move them back at a later date?

They went into my fry tank 120Litre and now the fry are in their old tank but its all cleaned down and bare bottomed.
I prefere the tank they are in now so they will be staying there :)

Most reactions

Back