Ch4Rlies First High Tech Planted Tank Atttempt!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Ch4rlie

Moderate Moderating Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
Well, this journal is going to about my 22l / 5.8 US gal AquaOne Nano tank to try for the first time for me to do a high tech planted tank.

Previously in that little tank, had low tech plants, Endlers and Red Cherry shrimps, decided to give these guys an upgrade to a larger 10 gal tank and do a planted tank for a change 
smile.png

Tank with the Shrimps and Endlers 

IMG_0678_zps8e1fb3e4.jpg

Right, now where to start?

Ok, lets start with the basics, lights, this tank came with a 9w AquaOne PL bulb light, is perfectly fine for low tech plants but not for the high tech plans I have in mind.

In the end, decided to go with LED's after discussing with fellow forum members, the pros and cons of LED versus T5 or higher wattage bulbs.

Therefore I bought this from eBay, Beamswork LED light unit, for £32 including P&P, not too bad at all.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Beamswork-6500K-3Wx-6-daylight-white-hang-on-LED-light-for-planted-aquarium-/151171228154?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Fish&hash=item233281e1fa

Which has 3 watts per LED, and totals 18 watts, which for a 22 litre tank is pretty good, which in reality with substrate and decor, the tank probably holds 20 litres of water, max, so think the lights will be at a minimum of 0.9 watts of light per litre which is definitely in high tech territory.

A great start! 
smile.png

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Hope it goes well. Really interested to see how the led's work out :)

rms said:
Hope it goes well. Really interested to see how the led's work out
smile.png

Thanks, me too!

Next is substrate!

I felt, I would be best with planted substrate rather than using the normal sand or gravel , or even dirt with sand on top.

So i chose this substrate, TMC Aqua Gro Nutrasoil, Black, 5 litre tub. About £18.95, not the cheapest, but was recommended to me.

IMG_1102_zpsc2c7f7c8.jpg

7497978c-7cec-4490-ba72-a2ff21275885_zps7e970760.jpg

Even though the tub was labelled 'black', the substrate is actually brown, just a darker brown. 1 - 2mm sized.

Am pleased with the appearance of this substrate and seems decent.

This was also featured in PFK by George Farmer.

http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/content.php?sid=3239

Sounds great so far! Can't wait to see this tank progress!

Yep, I am glued...... 

Decided to go with pressurised Co2, I bought this as a temporary set up until i get a DIY Fire Extinguisher set up, so when the  bottle of this JBL Co2 runs out, I will swap this for the DIY FE setup.

IMG_0939_zpsab388648.jpg

IMG_0940_zps51891776.jpg

Not cheap to buy this but i had gift vouchers so thought i'd use them for this and to learn about Co2. 
wink.png

CoryFever said:
Sounds great so far! Can't wait to see this tank progress!

Thank you. Lets hope all goes to plan!
Next stage, emptied the tank, cleaned it up.

Added substrate, the small Co2 bottle hangs at back of tank, bubble counter, drop checker and of course the fab LED lights 
smile.png

IMG_1106_zpsc26a403c.jpg

Looks good so far. 

Time for the plants :hey:

I have a feeling this is going to be perfect! :p

looks as bright as sunlight---best of luck in your new venture into high tech

blinkey blimey they're bright! or maybe because im sat here with the lights off lol.
looks great so far ch4rlie. cant wait to see what you do with it all.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back