Carpet Plant

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

mr130gallon

Fish Addict
Reaction score
i decided a few days ago that my tank would look wayy batter and more green if i got a carpet plant for the substrate.

i currently have gravel as a substrate but am probably switching to sand.

i have dwarf sagitaria and im trying to get it to make a bit of a grassy area, but i think it might do better in sand.

the carpet plant should be a maximum of about an inch or and inch and a half tall (2-3.5cm)

any ideas?

How about getting some java moss, attach it all to a flat piece platic with cotton, and the moss will grow great, you can just put the plastic sheet under the sand.

i have java moss on my bogwood, i might do that for a corner of the tank, but not the whole tank as it grows fairly large. but i love how it looks on my bogwood. thanks for the idea

i have java moss on my bogwood, i might do that for a corner of the tank, but not the whole tank as it grows fairly large. but i love how it looks on my bogwood. thanks for the idea

Your welcome :)

I used to have it all over my bog wood, then i wanted a section of my tank like u want yours, i had some spare tank seperators, so i used the plastic of that to tie the moss to, slipped it under the sand and puffed the moss out, and it looked awesome :)

Sorry to hack your thread.

Could I use something like a margerine tub lid as a 'flat plastic surface'?

To the poster above me- I think that you would be able to do that, but it might work a bit better if you poked or cut holes in it for the moss to grow out of it.

To the OP- There are a few carpeting plants. I think RIccia might work. It is often used as a substitute for moss. And if the moss gets too tall, you could just cut it. Other choices might be Dwarf Chain Sword, Or Dwarf Hair Grass.

Hope I helped a bit!

dwarf chain sword (echinodorus tennellus) will grow too tall for this persons needs and doesnt do will in lower tech tanks, i find it tends to die back

Elocharis Acicularis is your best bet really.
consider glosso, or HC but i doubt you will get them to grow.

mosses are good along with ricca etc.

perhaps even look at some of the hydrocotyle species or the marselia stuff for a different look.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back