Caring For Fish While On Holidays For A Month

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Convictlover

Reaction score
Hi all, going on holidays for a month in November for the first time since I got my new tank + Cichlid. What is the best way to make sure I donā€™t come back to dead fish? I will most likely have a pet sitter look after the fish while away but probably only 2-3 days per week to feed the fish and possibly do a water change.

1. How long can I stretch out water changes + tank clean (vacuum substrate)?
2. How many days can I stretch out feeding for the fish without under feeding?
3. Any other tips for this scenario?

I have 1 Convict Cichlid who is my baby and 1 Bristlenose catfish. The tank is planted with sand substrate.

Attachments

• 87419532-A2FA-4333-A140-7615327BCE21.jpeg
    87419532-A2FA-4333-A140-7615327BCE21.jpeg
    339.1 KB · Views: 46
1. it depends on how fast your nitrates accumulate, testing your water right after a water change and right before your next one can tell you
2. a long time, but since you have someone to feed your fish i would do every 2-3 days - just leave an amount of food in 10-15 separate little bags so your friend doesn't underfeed or overfeed.

Though more challenging, I would Find someone who has experience caring for fish if possible but not a necessity. Good for you for being on top of it! Youā€™ve got lots of time to prepare. Iā€™m going away for a week at the end of September, so I understand your concern. Iā€™m going to use the idea mentioned of preparing individual feedings ahead of time!

Can you please tell me the name of the large wispy plant in the back of ur tank?
I actually donā€™t know. I told the guy at the pet shop I wanted something hardy that could withstand cichlids and thatā€™s what he gave me. Lol

I see you have excel. I would flush that down the toilet. That stuff is not good for your fishā€™s health. It might be good for plants but it can harm fish.

I dropped a bit on the floor and it removed the coloring on my linoleum floor. I wouldnt want that in my fish. The chemicals in it are detrimental to fish. Others here can give you more reasons. I have two full bottles you can have if u cover the shipping.

Read the warnings on the bottle. Can cause skin irritation and eye damage and other issues.

It contains glutaraldehyde as the active ingredient. Also used to sterilise medical equipment, in embalming fluid, to strip barnacles of ship hulls etc. I don't want that in my tank.

If someone is coming in to feed the fish, make sure they know the importance of not over feeding. The safest way is to measure out the food into containers or ziplock bags labelled with the date to feed to the fish, and hide the food tubs as well meaning friends have been known to think you are being mean and add a lot more.
Feeding once, maybe twice a week will keep the ammonia and solid waste down to a minimum.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back