Carbon cartridge and filter part alternatives?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Riv21

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I recently got a new (second hand) tank (Aqua one Lifestyle 76L) that I bought very spontaneously from somebody. It has a built-in filter but unfortunately, it didn't come with its carbon cartridge or sponge. I've had to order its replacement parts online and I'm a bit taken aback by how expensive the parts were!

The parts I bought were:
- Aqua One Black Sponge 167s - 2 Pack
- Aqua One Carbon Cartridge 167 - 2 Pack

My question to you guys is, how and what can I use instead to assemble the built-in filter until the parts arrive, or even replace them entirely?

Thanks,

Last edited:
Hey guys,

I recently got a new (second hand) tank (Aqua one Lifestyle 76L) that I bought very spontaneously from somebody. It has a built-in filter but unfortunately, it didn't come with its carbon cartridge or sponge. I've had to order its replacement parts online and I'm a bit taken aback by how expensive the parts were!

The parts I bought were:

My question to you guys is, how and what can I use instead to assemble the built-in filter until the parts arrive, or even replace them entirely?

Thanks,
You can buy sheets of filter foam online. My local petco has filter foam I can cut down to size for my tanks.

Okay so would the order be filter foam on top and the sponge under it? Sorry for such a noobie question, just like to confirm things with experienced hobbyists haha. I've only ever owned HOB filters and they only contain a sponge and a carbon cartridge.

As for maintenance of the filter foam, would you replace the whole foam after every month or two?

Okay so would the order be filter foam on top and the sponge under it? Sorry for such a noobie question, just like to confirm things with experienced hobbyists haha. I've only ever owned HOB filters and they only contain a sponge and a carbon cartridge.

As for maintenance of the filter foam, would you replace the whole foam after every month or two?
I wouldn't get rid of the sponge unless it is falling apart. Rinse it in the old tank water when you do a water change. Put the sponge with larger pores in the flow portion first, then the denser sponge or filter material.

I wouldn't get rid of the sponge unless it is falling apart. Rinse it in the old tank water when you do a water change. Put the sponge with larger pores in the flow portion first, then the denser sponge or filter material.
Awesome thank you.

Will I need to possibly get anything else or is the sponge and filter material enough?

If it's a top or overhead filter or some called it a trickle filter, you can arrange this way:
1)Top layer - Filter floss
You can change this layer when it gets too dirty or it clog the water flow or if it's breaking apart.
This layer is for mechanical filtration or to remove all the debris, small particles and the dirty stuff.

2)Middle layer - Sponge pads
This layer is for biological filtration where the beneficial bacteria to grow.
You will need about 1month to 1.5 month for the bacteria to grow enough for your tank.
Do not anyhow replace this layer as you will lose the beneficial bacteria(BB).
You can only start to rinse it after 1.5 month but you cannot use direct tap water that will kill the BB.
You can use old tank water or water that has been treated with anti-Chlorine to rinse/clean it but don't overclean it.

3)Bottom layer (if you still have space after putting the middle layer) - ceramic rings or Biohome / Seachem / Eheim / Fluval biological medias.
This layer is also for biological filtration where most of the BB will grow here.
So, do not anyhow replace them.

Note: Middle layer and bottom layer should not be replaced unless they are really breaking apart after a few years.
But you cannot replace all at the same time. You have to do it in stages.

Here are some videos about top filter:

Last edited:
That's literally my tank! haha.

Thank you! I shall assemble my filter in that order. This just seems a much more cost effective approach instead of paying heaps for the genuine parts for the filter.

Hey guys,

The parts I bought were:

Thanks,

Since you have ordered the carbon cartridge, you can keep it for future use.
Carbon is usually used only after you have used medication.

By the way, since your tank is a second hand tank, I would advise you to do a good cleaning of the tank and filter in case there are some nasty parasites eggs still around.
Some parasites eggs can be hard to destroyed.

You can use bleach to clean your tank and filter.
But take note that bleach can be corrosive to the tank's silicone.
So, don't soak/apply the bleach for too long, probably only 10minutes.
Rinse well with water after cleaning and let it dry before use.

As for the filter, you can will soak the filter in a bucket with bleach for a longer period.
Also, rinse well with water after cleaning and let it dry before use.

Since you have ordered the carbon cartridge, you can keep it for future use.
Carbon is usually used only after you have used medication.

By the way, since your tank is a second hand tank, I would advise you to do a good cleaning of the tank and filter in case there are some nasty parasites eggs still around.
Some parasites eggs can be hard to destroyed.

You can use bleach to clean your tank and filter.
But take note that bleach can be corrosive to the tank's silicone.
So, don't soak/apply the bleach for too long, probably only 10minutes.
Rinse well with water after cleaning and let it dry before use.

As for the filter, you can will soak the filter in a bucket with bleach for a longer period.
Also, rinse well with water after cleaning and let it dry before use.
Thank you! I'll make sure to do all of this

Most reactions

Back