Cant Stop Getting Filters - I'm Paranoid

pippoodle

RIP Dear nan 22/03/1925 --11/03/2009
Joined
Sep 22, 2008
Messages
3,861
Reaction score
1
Points
0
Location
Devon - UK
I'm paranoid that a filter is going to malfunction on me so i run 2 or 3 on my bigger tanks
anyone else paranoid ? or is it just me

I think my fish in the rio 180 are getting peed off with me
i just added a new filter to the tank removed the fluval 3+ and replaced it with a 4+
Jees that thing really kicks out some force - got it turned down to half flow til they get used to it

so now the 180 ltr tank now has
juwel filter 600 lph
fluval 4+ 1000 lph
fluval 205 external 680 lph

hubby has banned me from getting more filters for the tank though i am allowed to upgrade to a 305 - 1000 lph
when i can find a cheap one
 
Before I rejigged everything in my Rio 180 I had 2 x Eheim externals (2222/2224's) and a Fluval 4+ running on the tank, basically so that if a filter failed elsewhere I'd be able to move the 4+ over to replace it. And a spare 2+ and 1+ running on other tanks for the same reason. Instacycle if I setup a new tank as well.

Never had any issues with it.
 
LOL that is kinda paranoid :P .

But I tend to wait for disaster to strike before I do anything. I have no "real" spare filter. But if one does just stop working, I'm pretty confident I could throw together a really ugly sponge filter. I've got a couple spare UGF powerheads and a spare air pump, along with maybe a plastic food container and a plastic tube I could make something. Just to get buy until I can buy a new filter(most likely online). The tank would look really funny though.
 
Yep, but you'd have to mess about transferring over filter media. I've always kept my eyes on buy/sell and occasionally ebay, and picked up a spare filters for pennies - much less than what I'd be forced to pay if one failed.

And as I say, if I decide to setup a new tank all I need to do is add water, dechlor and pop the filter in - and I've got a newly cycled tank, ready for occupants.
 
I once forgot to plug my filter back in for about 20 hours :D.

Everything was fine though, thanks to the plants and timed lighting :good:.
 
Yup - count us into that paranoid group :) Have the two tetratec's running on the big tank and a new filter on the smaller one as the other wasn't reliable - in my mind lol, and I have a spare Fluval external cannister in the loft just in case. Also have a spare air pump and also pick up media when I see it in Maidenhead on manager's specials lol.

In fact I'm thinking of going into business setting up a mature media service - lol.
 
i wouldnt say im concerned about my filter packing up - however its nice to know your covered! i am also a big believer
in over filtering - i am filtering at present on my near 1000ltr tank circa 8000ltrs/hour - i have 2 fx5s and 2 other large generic cans.
 
lol - well, to be honest, i dont really believe you can over filter - however, it keeps the tank very clean 'no debris', and also helps to filter the water into a better quality water. i also like the fx5's powerful output which creates almost waves across the tank, hopefully pumping the water with a good amount of oxygen...im sure there are other benefits also
 
well yes lol - fishes dont like it when they are on a spin cycle lol
 

Most reactions

Back
Top