Can you use sparkling water to dose CO2?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Tacocat

Fish Herder
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Reaction score
So I was scrolling youtube, as one does, and noticed a video about trying to add sparkling water to dose co2. Now, I was intrigued, and there was no way I would watch through a video to find out what happened, so I decided to do research. I found this website, which essentially said yes, jut be certain you do it right. But how do you do it right? How do I check how much co2 is in my tank? Help! And how do you actually do it? I have an abundant supply of perrier sitting around and I feel like using it.

https://tetrauni.com/can-i-use-sparkling-water-in-the-aquarium-as-a-source-of-co2/ - link.
Also should I buy a drop checker? If I get the go ahead from you I'll be using it in my 5 gal, so maybe a drop checker would be a good investment.

I have used this method in the past in a Pico setup with no fish, to add it was a 1l tank with some HC and S.repens, (I was replacing 200ml with carbonated water daily) it did work but to do this successfully in a larger tank would be ineffective from a cost perspective and also measuring the CO2 would be difficult, a drop checker would work but the volatility of CO2 in water coupled with the drop checkers lag in reading CO2 concentrations would give me cause for concern, I'd also never use this method with livestock. You leave a bottle of carbonated water out with the lid off and see how quick it goes flat, unfortunately this is why it's so ineffective from a cost perspective, as soon as you open that bottle it'll go flat.

CO2 injection with a DIY FE setup is cheap as chips nowadays, if you're serious about injecting CO2, and the intensity of your lighting requires it I would recommend the pressurised route without doubt.

you don't use sparkling water for aquariums.

most aquariums produce heaps of CO2. It's released by fish and bacteria continuously so there is no real need to add more of it to the tank.

I've not heard of it as a modern tool but that guide seems reasonably accurate, some people use soda stream units as a source of Co2 and you can get adaptors for some of the bigger brands like Co2 Art.

I know in some aquascaping videos I've seen them talk about Takeshi Amano trying this and it was one of the first ways people added Co2 to tanks before the injection processes were introduced.

Wills

So I was scrolling youtube, as one does, and noticed a video about trying to add sparkling water to dose co2. Now, I was intrigued, and there was no way I would watch through a video to find out what happened, so I decided to do research. I found this website, which essentially said yes, jut be certain you do it right. But how do you do it right? How do I check how much co2 is in my tank? Help! And how do you actually do it? I have an abundant supply of perrier sitting around and I feel like using it.

https://tetrauni.com/can-i-use-sparkling-water-in-the-aquarium-as-a-source-of-co2/ - link.
Also should I buy a drop checker? If I get the go ahead from you I'll be using it in my 5 gal, so maybe a drop checker would be a good investment.
it doesnt work sadly, I ahve found the cheapest option is to get a co2 art paintball tank converter, as they paintball tanks are free refill.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back