Can You Cycle A New Tank With A Sponge Filter?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

fish-_-face

Reaction score
Hello, I am very new to aquariums and am doing my best to understand the cycling process. I have always loved betta fish and after long consideration have decided to breed my male and my female. I have learned as much as I can, and have bought two tanks, filters, testing kits, heaters, medications and cultures etc. in preparation of the process. I am currently in the process of cycling my new 10 gallon tank, and was wondering whether or not it is possible to use a sponge filter for the cycling process. I bought the sponge filter so the fry don't get sucked into the intake of my 'bio-wheel filter'. The sponge is a new filter going into a new tank, unfortunately I do not have an already established tank to seed from. I have several other filters available to me, but was wondering if the only option was to cycle the tank with a regular filter, and then cycle the sponge filter, or if I can cycle the tank entirely with a sponge filter. I am very new to this hobby and want to do whatever is best for my fish, I would appreciate any help. * I also have Nutrafin Cycle but have heard differing opinions on its success, any experience with this product would be appreciated.

Thank you,

F.F. 

You can cycle any type of filter, so that's not going to be an issue.

I had a bottle of Cycle (got it free; wouldn't have bought it!) that I tried, and it did nothing, but you might as well use it if you already have it. Just do a proper cycle, with ammonia, rather than rely on the Cycle alone :)

I agree that the type of filter does not make any difference what so ever. You could use  a hang on back, canister or whatever you want really. And I seem to be the only person who had any success with nutrafin cycle... It did what it said It does... Cycled my tank. All I did was dose that for the recommended dosage and time, i tested the water daily, and everything was good, so i added fish. The fish were fine after a week or 2, and so was the water so i carried on adding them.. You get the picture lol

Do you know anyone who keeps fish near you? You could cut some of their media size to help the cycling process.

Cycling products have varied success because they're generally unreliable products. If you have it, use it. :)

Yep, filter media that already has beneficial bacteria on it will massively assist you in cycling. So do your best to find some :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back