Can you clean the fertiliser from a plant?

What type of shrimp do you have?
What is your water hardness?

Its the GH number and unit that matters - should be on your water company's site if you don't have a test for it.

Can you look at the label and tell us how much calcium and magnesium are in the water, please. Or take some to a fish shop and ask them to test it for GH and KH (don't tell them it's bottled water ;) )
It was a long time ago now, but I remember someone telling me that shrimps need some hardness in the water. I was told that at 5 dH, my tap water is just hard enough for shrimps. If Morrisons bottled water has little GH in it, that would adversely affect your shrimps.

It won't give 'hardness' on the label but it should give a breakdown of what's in it. Sainsbury's bottled water does, I have some in the cupboard and I've checked. It gives a list of all the things in it including calcium and magnesium. These are the minerals that make up GH, so although it won't be accurate, looking at the amount of calcium and magnesium in there should give us an idea of how hard or soft it is.

Or get it tested for GH :)

Just found this on the OPs link. Not sure how to interpret the numbers and I've just started the weeks water changes so off the PC for a while ;)
@snailaquarium - is there a reason why you aren't using tap water?
water.JPG

Thanks seangee :) I didn't go down the page far enough.

Those figures are mg/100 ml so in mg/l that's 63 mg/l calcium and 19 mg/l magnesium.
Water companies give hardness as though all the hardness minerals were calcium carbonate or all calcium oxide or all calcium. If we enter that calcium figure in a converter table in the mg/l Ca2+ column, we get 8.8 dH and 157 ppm for GH. The magnesium would make it higher.

I know this is not terribly accurate but with those figures for calcium and magnesium Morrisons bottled water should be hard enough for shrimps. It is spring water with a reasonable hardness not distilled water.

It does have a lot of carbonate (as bicarbonate) in it though - 28 mg/ 100 ml which is 280 mg/l.

And a lot of reviewers say it has a chemical taste? Have you drunk any, snailaquarium, what do you think it tastes like?

Last edited:
What about the sodium? Seems a high number (compared to everything else). If its in the form of NaCl that could be a problem as adult Amano are intolerant of salt.

I wanted to use bottled water to avoid chlorine issues.

Tastes fine to me! tastes nicer than tap water lol. Tapwater here is hard I am told.

There is not that much sodium in the bottled water. Just 7.2 mg/100ml, or 72 ppm. Tap water has an upper legal limit of 150 ppm.

Well if the water is OK then presumably the snails did it. But why the smaller shrimp still alive?

This is not working out well at all! Looking after the goldfish as a child was pretty easy compared to the shrimp, but I wanted something unusual for the aquarium.

Are you suggesting the snails themselves killed the shrimps or that something on the snails that was transferred from the plants killed the shrimps?
Malaysian trumpet snails and ramshorns won't themselves kill shrimps - I have all three in the same tank.

The dead shrimps - what do they look like when they die? Is there a white band across their backs? I do have a reason for asking, but I'll wait for your reply before explaining.

Are you suggesting the snails themselves killed the shrimps or that something on the snails that was transferred from the plants killed the shrimps?

well ass I said "The snails were originally subject to the plants that previously came from the same seller that's sold plants that killed the shrimp before."

I'm concerned they carried poison.

as it happens i asked the water company this:

"

Besides chlorine, which chemicals are you adding to water on post code"

they responded

"Thank you for your email regarding Water Quality in your area.

I can advise you that we add a small amount of ammonia in the disinfection process, meaning that your water is chloraminated.

Whilst we don't add anything else trace amounts of other chemicals present in all drinking water, not just in this area, if you would like to see your full water quality report by going onto Anglian Water's website and clicking 'In Your Area', popping your postcode in and then hitting the 'What's here' button on the left hand side of the screen.

Alternatively you can follow my link below:

http://waterquality.anglianwater.com/map.aspx?pcode="

Most reactions

Back