Can the Daisy's Ricefish (Oryzias woworae) be with Peacock Gudgeons (Tateurndina ocellicauda)?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Rocky998

Kinda crazy, but somehow they let me stay
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
I wanted to know if Daisy rice fish would be peaceful with my peacocks and vice versa. They are really beautiful fish and seem like they would compliment my gudgeons well color wise but I want to make sure they get along.

I've kept them together. They ignored each other.

The downside to the rice fish is that they don't seem to be long lived, but they do spawn regularly, laying eggs in plants. When I had mine, I had water sprite floating on the tank. I also had a betta in what's now my shrimp tank, a very laid back betta. The floating plants in his tank didn't do well, so when they died I replaced them with plants from the main tank. One day I saw some tiny blue dots swimming in the betta's tank - rice fish fry. The eggs must have been on the plant from the main tank. The betta didn't seem to notice them and the fry grew big enough in there to move back into the main tank. But I never saw fry in the main tank, they or the eggs must have been eaten, like the gudgeon fry/eggs.

The eggs would get picked off, as @Essjay said. But they would get along, and look good. I'm jealous - I don't see Daisy's often. They are cool in their own tank, the way they carry their eggs and snag them on plants. It's a fun one to breed, because it's odd.

I forgot to mention the female carrying the eggs. They look like a cluster of bubbles attached to her till they get pulled off as she swims through things. It looks worrying the first time you see it :lol:

Thats awesome! Thank you for your experience on this! I plan on adding some nice tall thick plants fry can hide in as well as floater plants like water sprite maybe

I forgot to mention the female carrying the eggs. They look like a cluster of bubbles attached to her till they get pulled off as she swims through things. It looks worrying the first time you see it :lol:
I was researching that! Yah it is weird

The eggs would get picked off, as @Essjay said. But they would get along, and look good. I'm jealous - I don't see Daisy's often. They are cool in their own tank, the way they carry their eggs and snag them on plants. It's a fun one to breed, because it's odd.
I will read up more on their life spans and breeding. Thanks. How long does it take for their fry to grow up?

No. This is a type of Killifish. Killifish should be kept species only. All other fish are unworthy to be kept in their presence.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    17.4 KB · Views: 19
It's not a killifish - they were classed as their own separate group a few years ago - Medakas and Oryzias. They can, therefore, be combined with, well, other things without triggering the wrath of Poseidon.

No. This is a type of Killifish. Killifish should be kept species only. All other fish are unworthy to be kept in their presence.

It's not a killifish - they were classed as their own separate group a few years ago - Medakas and Oryzias. They can, therefore, be combined with, well, other things without triggering the wrath of Poseidon.
OK. Some egghead in an ivory tower reclassified them. But . . . since they once did occupy a position of greatness , let us afford them the dignity of not having to hobnob with the hoi polloi .

According to Seriously Fish these guys are acid loving. pH 6-7.5. So may not be suitable for your tank.

7.5.... I remember that for peacock gudgeons I think... Hmm. I will keep it in mind.

I really love lambchop rasboras (Rasbora Espei) but I also saw these and they remind me of a smaller version of dwarf neon rainbowfish (Melanotaenia praecox). So I like them and I was wondering if they could live with Peacock Gudgeons (Tateurndina ocellicauda)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back