Can Somebody Id My Loach?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

aquariagirl1976

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I think he is a gold dojo weather loach from my research, but I am unsure as I haven't found a pic of my exact loach with the fin on the top going the whole length of the body. I do know that whatever he is, he is albino; he has the red eyes. Thanks!

Albino.jpg

Is that dorsal fin continuous or is it "lots of small fins"? Looks more like one of those dragon gobies, or maybe a birchir, then a loach from the picture.

Weather/Dojo loaches have a regular dorsal fin half way down their back and noticeable barbels around the mouth. Your fish does not show these characteristics.

You might try asking in Oddballs.

Arrrrr cant think of it's name but it not a loach at all or a goby...... bake in 5 mins when i found it..... i do know the name ARRRRRRRRR going mad thinking

Polypterus bichir

Gold.......(albino)

Told u i would remember in time

HS, I didn't mean a goby like a bumble bee or similar. Those "dragon gobies" have a row of dorsal finlets. The mouth doesn't look right, but the picture isn't the greatest.

Whatever, I'm sure it's not a CC&A species, I'll move the thread to Oddballs.

LL thats ok I keped dragon's in the past and know what u mean, but this is a simple fish to ID, just could not think of the name at first LOL

Its a Albino Senegal Bichir. Min tank on its ow is 30g. will reach 12" and has a HUGE mouth will eat many fish. needs to be kept with fish longer than 5" and wder than 2".

That is a bichir definitly. Dont no why you would think that is a loach.

That is a bichir definitly. Dont no why you would think that is a loach.

The pet store advertised him as a loach, so yes, I thought he was a loach.

Its a Albino Senegal Bichir. Min tank on its ow is 30g. will reach 12" and has a HUGE mouth will eat many fish. needs to be kept with fish longer than 5" and wder than 2".

Ha, that's interesting. The pet store never gave me that info. He is in a 20 gallon right now, and he is in with corys. He doesn't seem to be bothering with them. I guess I may have to move him to my other tank :unsure:

Its not too good keeping them
with corys as, when he's big enough
he'll try eating them and, they have
spiked front fins which he'll choke on :crazy:

The pictured fish is an albino polypterus senegalus not a loach.-Anne

I moved my bichir to my other tank. I traded places with my weather loach. I now have the bichir in with my albino african frog (which I am told he eats fishies once he gets bigger too so I figure they are ok together for now), a platy, and a pleco. He is still pretty young so I will keep an eye on him. Don't know what I am going to do with him now! Tho I love him and don't want to get rid of him but don't have the cash to get a bigger tank right now, perhaps down the road. My other tank now has 3 corys, a weather loach, a dojo loach, large snail, male betta and a pleco. I know someone is going to tell me to move the platy to the loach/cory tank but I have tried that and the betta in that tank beats him up so that isn't an option right now.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back