Can smaller African cichlids mix with cories?

Stefan3289

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I was curious if african cichlids can mix with cories. For example, the yellow lab cichlid (Labidochromis caeruleus) or maybe an African Butterfly (Anomalochromis thomasi) as these are some of the more "peaceful" ones?

I was curious if african cichlids can mix with cories. For example, the yellow lab cichlid (Labidochromis caeruleus) or maybe an African Butterfly (Anomalochromis thomasi) as these are some of the more "peaceful" ones?
I wouldn't. A peaceful african is like a slightly venomous rattlesnake. It still dangerous. @Wills or @itiwhetu could also provide some insight.

I will most likely go for a group of emperor and (another group of tetras undecided) and have a dwarf gourami gourami as a center piece, but I just love cichlids! Couldn't hurt to ask.

My water parameters are these just incase they are needed:

PH: 7
GH: 160 ppm (moderate soft)
KH: 0 ppm

Tank is also a 30" by 12" by 18" (LxDxH)

I will most likely go for a group of emperor and (another group of tetras undecided) and have a dwarf gourami gourami as a center piece, but I just love cichlids! Couldn't hurt to ask.

My water parameters are these just incase they are needed:

PH: 7
GH: 160 ppm (moderate soft)
KH: 0 ppm

Tank is also a 30" by 12" by 18" (LxDxH)
Cichlids rule. Too bad they like eating other fish lol. I would go with honey gourami, as dwarf gourami can be aggressive and have dwarf gourami disease. You could probably get 3 honey.

Cories and Rift Lake cichlids are not compatible because of their different water needs. African cichlids not from these lakes would be compatible as far as water requirements are concerned.

Cories and Rift Lake cichlids are not compatible because of their different water needs. African cichlids not from these lakes would be compatible as far as water requirements are concerned.
I will probably end up doing my tetra and gourami mix as I don't want to over complicate the tank, especially if they require different water parameters. Going of the idea of having a school of emperor tetras (6), would I be able to fit another school of top/ middle dwellering tetras with a honey gourami? or could I maybe have 8 emperor tetras and 3 honey gouramis?

You would need to look at the riverine dwarfs like nanochromis transvestitus. Kribensis species would work some of the unusual ones are really nice if you want something a bit different. Butterflies might be ok but they can be a bit unpredictable, but nice fish. Like essjay said any of the rift lake cichlids are a no go

You would need to look at the riverine dwarfs like nanochromis transvestitus. Kribensis species would work some of the unusual ones are really nice if you want something a bit different. Butterflies might be ok but they can be a bit unpredictable, but nice fish. Like essjay said any of the rift lake cichlids are a no go

Yep Kribs or another dwarf cichlid could just about work in your tank.

Can smaller African cichlids mix with cories?
Small African cichlids that come from soft water can live with Corydoras.
Small African cichllids from the Rift Lakes cannot be kept with Corydoras due to the different water chemistry requirements (Rift Lake cichlids come from hard water with a high pH, Corydoras come from soft water with a lower pH).

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

• Chad
    Reef Tank, Crustacean, and Puffer Enthusiast

Members online

Back