Can I use Kanaplex with API fin and body cure?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

johnmichaels

Reaction score
My boy Moo has bad fin rot which has not gotten better since starting on Kanaplex (if anything itā€™s gotten worse). Heā€™s already in a med tank and has slowed down considerably, not even eating pellets soaked in garlic guard. Iā€™m not sure what to do anymore besides keeping him comfortable and waiting to see if it heals, but in the meantime would it do more harm than good to mix Kanaplex and APIā€™s fin and body cure together? Thanks!

Don't mix meds unless the manufacturer explicitly says it is safe. They usually do this on their own brand range (of course). To remove medication do large water changes and have activated carbon in the filter.
Aquarium salt may be beneficial short-term to treat fin rot. You could try a rate of one tablespoon per five gallons for 2 weeks.

I would highly recommend trying to figure out the cause of his fin rot so you can prevent it in the future. Depending on the severity, increased water changes can often help cure fin rot and is all that is needed in some cases. More information is needed to better advise you such as current parameters in the hospital tank, his regular tank, tank size, feeding, and water change schedule. Medications are incredibly stressful on fish (and as you can attest can sometimes make the issue worse) and I would only recommend them as a last resort when you have tried everything else including increased water changes and adding salt.

As far as I know finrot is caused by gram-positive bacteria and Kanaplex treats gram negative bacteria. If so it is quite logical Kanaplex doesn't work for you.

Another thin is : why use meds in a mix if it doesn't work.

I know this is months old but it is stated in many trusted forums and guides numerous times that you can gain a synergistic effect when using Kanamycin and Doxycycline together for infection. Yes mixing meds should not be the first thing tried but for stubborn infection when you do not know the cause it is very beneficial. Sometimes there are more than one cause for the symptoms and treating it all is needed. Same with Kanamycin and Furan-2, the synergistic thing, only you can't get the Furan-2 now. Nitrafurazone is still sold in a yellow powder on a certain reputable hobbyist site that also gives lots of info, and from some other fish stores but I am not sure I am allowed to post those specifics so go looking, have to spend time going through the many pages sometimes. For that combo above you can also use Metroplex. The three together are used for really hard to treat cases. I "think" Metro works with The Kana/Doxy mix as well? Not 100% on that but Metro can be combined safely with each individually. The Doxycycline ( Fin and Body) treats gram positive and some gram negatives and is a good broad spectrum antibiotic. The kanamycin is a great for internal bacterial and some fungal infections, it's strong so not to be used more than indicated.

I know this is months old but it is stated in many trusted forums and guides numerous times that you can gain a synergistic effect when using Kanamycin and Doxycycline together for infection. Yes mixing meds should not be the first thing tried but for stubborn infection when you do not know the cause it is very beneficial. Sometimes there are more than one cause for the symptoms and treating it all is needed. Same with Kanamycin and Furan-2, the synergistic thing, only you can't get the Furan-2 now. Nitrafurazone is still sold in a yellow powder on a certain reputable hobbyist site that also gives lots of info, and from some other fish stores but I am not sure I am allowed to post those specifics so go looking, have to spend time going through the many pages sometimes. For that combo above you can also use Metroplex. The three together are used for really hard to treat cases. I "think" Metro works with The Kana/Doxy mix as well? Not 100% on that but Metro can be combined safely with each individually. The Doxycycline ( Fin and Body) treats gram positive and some gram negatives and is a good broad spectrum antibiotic. The kanamycin is a great for internal bacterial and some fungal infections, it's strong so not to be used more than indicated.
I think "synergistic" isn't the right word in these cases. In case of an unknown cause / infection people tend to use a mix of meds / antibiotics cause maybe they'll "hit" something (and cure the infection). So infact shooting a shotgun. This in fact is why "general meds" (even sometimes with that word in the name) are so succesful in SALES. Using or misusing antibiotics in this
way have proven caused more issues than theybdid good. Antibiotics are serious stuff and a danger fot the environment, future issues and humans. So please please don't use antibiotocs and certainly not mixes of them in case of an unknown disease / infection. It eventually will ruine our hobby (if it didn't allready) and this planet (sounds extreme but defintely isn't).

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back