Can I Put Newborns With My Other Fry?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Platymamma7277

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
I have 7 pineapple platy fry that are aprox. 2 months old and their mother is pregnant again. They have their own ten gallon tank for them to grow in until they are big enough to be put with the adults. They have plenty of room and the tank has great levels in ph, temp ect. I'd say the babies are about 2-4cm. Would it be ok to put newborns in the tank with them? Also there is a dwarf loach in with them because there was an algae problem which cleared right up after the adition of the loach. It is has not tried to attack the fry at all. He has a small mouth aswell. Would I have to remove the loach if I put in newborns?
Thanks a ton :)

Not sure about the loach but if the other fry aren't too big they should fine. I have guppy fry, one is a little over a month other, she was the only one who survived being in the main tank before I could get them out. And her full siblings also live with her. I have never seen her pick at them. I guess it could be a he... But yeah :)

i have a quite agressive loach, and i put 13 platy frys in at 2 months 1 died but overwise they were ok

I wouldn't dare...

Anyway, just to share... do you know that a small Neon Tetra actually eats guppy fries? And she can actually gulp more than 10 in a minute? Trust me. I know this by heart as I have seen this with my own eyes... As to your dwarf loach...I wouldn't trust history just yet. 

But that's just me. 

Thanks when I put them in ill keep a close eye on the loa and take it out if it starts being aggressive towards the newborns.

it's ok I have tried this by putting newborn with 1 month old fry and they are not bothered by it no chasing or whatsoever, they even compete for food with larger frys. Im not sure about the loach but if you want to get rid of algaes try putting snails,I put ramshorn snails with mine, they don't bother the plants.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back