Can I Breed Plecos Successfully With Other Tankmates Present?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

5-star_plakat

Reaction score
I'm looking to set up some tanks for the purpose of breeding L066 and L134 plecos. I know most of mine are quite young so it could be several months or a couple of years before I expect to see anything. Anyway, I'm wondering if my plecos will breed while living with cory cats and some small schooling fish? I know it's probably best just raising the plecos alone but I'd like to hear if you all have had successful breeding stories with other tankmates present.

Thanks.

Yes, they can but plecos usually breed in fast-moving water with a pebbly or rocky substrate. Try simulating it

5-star_plakat said:
I'm looking to set up some tanks for the purpose of breeding L066 and L134 plecos. I know most of mine are quite young so it could be several months or a couple of years before I expect to see anything. Anyway, I'm wondering if my plecos will breed while living with cory cats and some small schooling fish? I know it's probably best just raising the plecos alone but I'd like to hear if you all have had successful breeding stories with other tankmates present. Thanks.

Depends on what part they are in the xingu, some breed in places only a few select fish can live in. Others in a dead log or hole in a slow backwater.

yes there is a chance but the egg rearing and the aggression plus the survival chances are a problem, the male pleco will guard the eggs ferociously from other fish

The one advantage to spawning plecos is that dad does all the work until the fry are free swimming. However, this is not a guarantee of success. Most fish see anything that fits into their mouth as food. This includes eggs, wigglers and small fry.

For the best success rate you should have both a dedicated species breeding tank and another for grow out. The reason for the grow out tank is to handle a continuous stream of spawns, Once plecos start they tend to breed regularly for a while. The grow tank gives you a way to spread them out as the numbers increase.

Derp- Pekoltia comptas do not come from the Xingu, they are usually found in the Rios Tapajós and Jamanxim . The L066 do inhabit the Xingu but they are also found in the Rio Tocantins.

Thanks for the advice, you all.  I'll make sure my individual tanks are suitable for my plecos to breed by providing sufficient current and decor.  

I like to raise cories with plecos cause they're peaceful and they eat any leftover food that the plecos  leave behind.  The schooling fish would just be for movement and appeal.  I guess my best option may be to just have tanks dedicated to the plecos.  Maybe I'll experiment... some tank with tankmates and others without.... hmmm.

Thanks again.

TwoTankAmin said:
The one advantage to spawning plecos is that dad does all the work until the fry are free swimming. However, this is not a guarantee of success. Most fish see anything that fits into their mouth as food. This includes eggs, wigglers and small fry.

For the best success rate you should have both a dedicated species breeding tank and another for grow out. The reason for the grow out tank is to handle a continuous stream of spawns, Once plecos start they tend to breed regularly for a while. The grow tank gives you a way to spread them out as the numbers increase.

Derp- Pekoltia comptas do not come from the Xingu, they are usually found in the Rios Tapajós and Jamanxim . The L066 do inhabit the Xingu but they are also found in the Rio Tocantins.

oh my bad. sorry TTA :D
but I know most loricarids are from xingu, rio negro and tapajos 

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back