Can anyone share their experience with Pea Puffer?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

shaziasadiqah

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have a nano tank (17gal, cube 40cm tank) it's empty now i only have lots of plants in there.

I've been also reading a lot about pea puffer and very interested in getting one, can anyone share their experience with the fish?

Behavior, feeding, tank mates, etc....

All i know so far is that they are very territorial and aggressive. Will Maculata rasbora and pigmy cories okay with a single pea puffer?

I keep mine in their own tank. One shares with a Nerite snail and shrimp, the other one ate the only shrimp roommate it had. They are lots of fun to keep, but I have very small tanks so can't have more than one puffer in them.

Great personality, very picky eaters, extremely curious.

Here is some more information on them: https://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/carinotetraodon-travancoricus/

Definitely best in a species-only tank. You could keep a trio in that tank, as long as it’s heavily planted.
I keep mine in their own tank. One shares with a Nerite snail and shrimp, the other one ate the only shrimp roommate it had. They are lots of fun to keep, but I have very small tanks so can't have more than one puffer in them.

Great personality, very picky eaters, extremely curious.

thank you, i think i’ll just keep them then, no tank mates.

my tank is pretty dense, lots of vallisneria and
Hornwort, some anubias, too.

how very picky eater are they? Will they eat frozen food like bloodworm or brine shrimp?

Everyone has a different experience when it comes to food. Mine will not touch anything dead. I get "the look" if I put frozen bloodworms in. I feed them live snails, live bloodworms, mosquito larvae, ostracods and amphipods. I just went away for several days and their tanks had lots of snails for them to eat, so in that sense they are easy.
They love plants and nooks and crannies to explore.

I've had the same experience as @eatyourpeas thus far. They've turned their nose up at everything which isn't alive. Mine have just discovered that snails are edible. I hatch baby brine shrimp for them, daily and toss in snails when I can't see any in there. I've tried flake, pellet, gel and dried food, all were ignored

I've had the same experience as @eatyourpeas thus far. They've turned their nose up at everything which isn't alive. Mine have just discovered that snails are edible. I hatch baby brine shrimp for them, daily and toss in snails when I can't see any in there. I've tried flake, pellet, gel and dried food, all were ignored
Puffers have gotta be the pickiest eaters out there... :rolleyes:

I really wanted puffers in my 10g, but I opted for a Betta. (Profile picture)

Maybe someday... they are p u r e cuteness. :wub:

Yes, they are indeed!
1616087273367.png

Puffers have gotta be the pickiest eaters out there... :rolleyes:

I really wanted puffers in my 10g, but I opted for a Betta. (Profile picture)

You have to get them one day mate! So fun and personable. Can't wait to move mine into the tank I'm currently setting up for them so that everyone can marvel at them ? definetly consider pea puffers for future stocking. I'm battling myself to not get another tank to explore puffers, they're great!

Everyone has a different experience when it comes to food. Mine will not touch anything dead. I get "the look" if I put frozen bloodworms in. I feed them live snails, live bloodworms, mosquito larvae, ostracods and amphipods. I just went away for several days and their tanks had lots of snails for them to eat, so in that sense they are easy.
They love plants and nooks and crannies to explore.

thank you, i feed my angels mosquito larvae every week. my LFS sell those so it's easy to get those here, also live bloodworm, too :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back