Can anyone ID these baby snails?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Angelotter

Reaction score
As far as I know I only have one adult snail in my tank, a zebra nerite. But these tiny snail have appeared on my drift wood and they don't look like nerite(plus this is a freshwater tank and I've heard they need brackish water to reproduce). I believe they came from those eggs on the driftwood? I'd like to know what they are for curiosity sake, because I've never seen so many babies before. I've tried looking up the ID but I haven't seen any adults.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180610-153050.png
    Screenshot_20180610-153050.png
    538.1 KB · Views: 288
Hi and welcome to the forum :)

They are Malaysian Liverbearer Snails.

In my opinion, they are a pain in the blank. I would kill them all if I could but everyone else on here loves them. They annoy the hell out of me because they spread rapidly, are hard to kill, and eat fish eggs.

Last edited:
They do look somewhat like MTS but don’t think they are tbh.

I have loads of MTS and they don’t look quite like that.

Maybe these are a variation of mts but more likely to be a type of common snail.

Some folks don’t like snails like ColinT but I am a fan of these MTS as they do wonders for the substrate and are a natural addition to the aquarium.

Over feeding will likely result in a population boom of snails so do keep an eye on how much food you add to the tank and this will help keep the snail population in check.

There are various methods in helping to get rid of snails so a little google search will help you get an idea of what you may wish to do if you want to eliminate snails from your tank.

Thank you for the ID. I don't mind them being in there as long as they are not harming anything. I do wonder where they came from, I haven't added any new plants in over a year so they must hide pretty well!

They do hide well. They usually live in the substrate and only come out at night. I probably have hundreds but hardly ever see them. The agitate and aerate the sand which prevents a build up of dangerous gases and feed on organic waste (which is a good thing). As has been said if you reduce their food their numbers will reduce. If there are too many you can pick out the visible ones when you do a water change and drop them into a jug of boiling water

My MTS babies do not look like your photo. The spirals of mine are ridged and very tight. The shells of yours look less ridged (do not mean swirls or coils but texture). Yours look smoother. I would definitely give them a chance to grow out so you can see what they turn into. My favorite snails so far are my Japanese Trapdoor snails. The adults have a beautiful verdis gris kind of color on them. They give birth to one live baby at a time and seem to grow slowly and not clog your tank with babies.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back