Can anyone help ID Plec, please?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

CathyG

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I am not a plec person, and for the most part they all look the same to me (well a lot of them do anyway) But I have inherited one, I don't think he will grow too large, but I would be interested to learn more about him.

My sister bought him at the same time as a Bristlenose, the BS is now larger than this plec (which is about 3") and it is over a year old (maybe 15 months) any ideas will be most welcome :) Thanks in advance!

Planted043.jpg

In this next pic, an Oto to the left of the Plec gives an indication of size:

Planted040.jpg

LMAO! Just my luck! Good job he will be in a 135 gallon within a year! :crazy:

I would have thought he might be larger at over a year old than a BN - are Sailfins slow growers?

Anyhow, thanks for your help (I have become attached to him, though he is a little idle lol!) More pics:

Planted047.jpg

Planted046.jpg

Thanks for the link, Pamela, he is almost identical to the one in pic 12 - even down to how he fades the colour over his shoulders at times.

Cheers again! :)

smithrc, those are the first pics I have managed to get in the time I have had him. He is a known recluse, but tonight he is out muscling in on the algae tabs. I have a fair few bottom feeders, half of which are mainly nocturnal, but he doesn't seem to be emaciated, just shorter than I would expect for such a potentially large fish. I had initially thought him a Sailfin, but thought it unlikely due to his growth rate so far.

At least he hangs out in the same place for the most part, so I will drop him a personal slice of cucumber ;)

Considering his potential size, thank goodness he has set up home by the filter intake! :rofl:

We've found that our bristlenose fry's growth rate depends on the available food...
The more there is - the quicker they grow (and the more the parents breed!)

With a bit of competition it should bring him out of himself a bit more - so thats a good thing :)

Thank you smithrc, that is encouraging to hear :) Though it unnerves me I am growing an 18" monster LMAO! :D j/k. It was good to see him suddenly pushing the others away from the algae tabs, that is the "real" first movement I have seen from him whilst the lights are on.

I'm looking forward to our L014 growing up - although he's doing it slowly at the minute, he'll get to a 12-15" goldy spotty beauty :)

CathyG said:
Have you got a pic? :)

I am just about ok with common plec names, the L numbers lose me lol!
Hes a Goldie Plec...

this is him now...

DSCF0253.JPG

and what he'll look like when he is older

7.jpg

Wow! Impressive looking! Though the juvenile looks nothing like the adult, lol! They must accumulate the spots as they age, just as trees grow rings :D

Cathy,

I'm so glad to hear that you'll have room for the sailfin as he gets larger! I was worried that you'd have to give him up. I'd love to have one of the huge plecos, but there's no way we could accomodate a 100+ gallon tank! He really is a beauty!

--Pamela

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back